Skip navigation

Real estate recording information

Legal documents from real estate transactions related to property within Hennepin County and other documents such as military separations and tax liens are recorded here. The most commonly recorded documents are mortgages, deeds, assignments, releases and satisfactions. 

Legal help

For legal forms, assistance completing them and legal advice, please consult your legal advisor. Per Minnesota Statute, we can only review a document to make sure it contains the required elements in order to be recorded. Once you record a document it is permanent and can't be removed or altered.

Open all

In person

Our office is closed for in-person transactions. Submit documents through eRecording or by mail.

Either call 612-348-5139 or email for recording options in meeting immediate statutory deadlines. Recording by appointment will be available later this spring or early summer.


Electronic recording enables title companies, lenders, law firms and others to electronically record documents with the Hennepin County Recorder/Registrar of Titles. Documents are recorded over the Internet with the assistance of an eRecording vendor (see list below). This is rapidly becoming the preferred method to submit documents for recording. All document types can be eRecorded except plats

Minnesota Land Title Association COVID-19 announcement for the general public

Processing time

Documents are recorded within 1-3 days of submission. Processing time varies based on recording volume.

Why record electronically?

  • It saves time and money by automating the processing, receipt and payment of real estate documents.
  • No need to manage paper documents, so less impact on the environment.
  • It is faster.
  • Original documents never leave your possession – you just scan them and they are ready for submission to the county Recorder/Registrar of Titles.
  • No special equipment needed – just a computer, scanner and Internet access.
  • Increased security – documents are tracked through the entire recording process.
  • Immediate image retrieval – once accepted for recording, you will receive notification that your document has been officially recorded in the public record.
  • Faster communication and resolution of rejection issues.

How does a company get started with eRecording?

The Hennepin County Recorder currently does business with the following eRecording vendors recognized by the Minnesota Electronic Real Estate Recording Commission (MNERERC):

By mail

Mail (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.) documents for recording to:

County Recorder/Registrar of Titles
Attn: Document recording
Hennepin County Government Center
300 S. 6th St. – MC 074
Minneapolis, MN 55487

Processing time

Original documents will be recorded and returned within 4–6 weeks.

Additional information

Read about the Electronic Real Estate Recording Commission.

Payment options

Make checks payable to Hennepin County Recorder. A single check may be written to cover both the recording fee and the tax.


Abstract or Torrens Memorial

  • $46 per document

Additional Torrens Memorial

  • $20 per each additional certificate

Assignments, satisfactions, partial releases

  • Abstract – $46 per document ($10 additional for each referenced number over the first four)
  • Torrens – $46 per document

Common interest community certificate

  • $40

Condominium, Plats, CIC condominium plats and surveys

  • Abstract – $56 minimum for first 112 units ($.50 per each additional unit over 112)
  • Torrens – $56 (additional $40 if an old one has to be canceled)

Conservation fee

  • $5 Minnesota Conservation Fund fee collected on each instrument where state deed tax or mortgage registration tax has been paid

Exchange certificate

  • $20 for each certificate cancelled
  • $20 for each new certificate issued

First certificate or possessory title

  • $46

Memorial plat

  • $46 pursuant to Section 508.23 or Section 508.671

Residue or additional certificate

  • $40 for each residue certificate issued
  • $40 for each additional certificate issued

State tax lien

  • No charge for recording of lien itself

State tax lien release

  • $30

Transfer of fee ownership certificate

  • $46 for the first certificate cancelled and issued
  • $40 for each additional certificate issued

Well disclosure certificate

  • $50

Extra copies submitted at time of filing

  • $2

More information

Fees detailed in Minnesota Statutes 357.18.

Use our property information search to find out whether a property is Torrens or abstract along with additional property and tax information.

Many commonly recorded documents require payment of a tax in addition to the recording fee. See the Recording fees section of this page to determine recording fee and use our mortgage registry and deed tax calculator to determine the amount of deed or mortgage registration tax. A $5 agricultural conservation fee is due when mortgage registry of deed tax is collected.

The following lists are general items to consider prior to submitting documents to our office for recording.

All types of documents

Include date and signature.

Verify that the legal description is complete and correct.

Provide "drafted by" statement, which includes both the name and address of the document drafter.

Acknowledgment must include: date, legible notary seal, notary signature and commission expiration date.

  • Individual acknowledgements require signor names and marital status.
  • Corporate acknowledgements require business name as well as the name and corporate title of the signer.

Include the electronic certificate of real estate value (eCRV) number on the first page of the document.

  • Effective October 1, 2014, the Minnesota Department of Revenue - Property Tax Division, will no longer accept paper versions of the CRV.
  • Paper CRV’s for sales that occur on October 1 or after will cause the recording package to be rejected.

Do not alter legal documents with strikeouts, line throughs, whiteout, correction tape, or staple removal.

Transfer deeds

Use our online calculator to determine the correct State Deed Tax (SDT) amount (the tax is .0034 of the net consideration or purchase price) to include.

For values of more than $3,000 complete and submit an eCRV (Minnesota Statute 272.115).

For values of $3,000 or less, submit a check for SDT of $1.70 and write "Total consideration for this transfer is $3,000 or less" on the deed.

An Agricultural Conservation fee of $5 is due on any transfer deed in which SDT is payable (Minnesota Statute 40A.152).

Grantors must include marital status.

Properties with delinquent taxes may not be transferred (Minnesota Statute 272.12).

Include a “Send Tax Statements to” statement, which has both the names and addresses of all of the grantees on the document.

Submit one of the following:

  • A completed Well Disclosure Certificate (WDC) and a $50 fee (for each WDC submitted), or
  • A statement: “The Seller certifies that the seller does not know of any wells on the described real property.” or
  • A statement: “I am familiar with the property described in this instrument and I certify that the status and the number of wells on the described real property have not changed since the last previously filed well disclosure certificate.”


  • Use our online calculator to determine the correct Mortgage Registry Tax (MRT) (the tax is .0024 of the net consideration or purchase price) to include.
  • An Agricultural Conservation fee of $5 is due on any mortgage in which MRT (Minnesota Statute 40A.152) is payable.

Contract for deeds

  • Must include either a well statement signed by the buyer or a WDC and the $50 fee.
  • SDT not required on a Contract for Deeds.
  • A value of more than $3,000 of consideration must be accompanied by an eCRV (Minnesota Statute 272.115).

* Recommended and prepared in part by the Minnesota County Recorder’s Association. Revised: 08-01-2008

Restrictive covenants are restrictions on the use of land detailed in the body of recorded legal documents. In the past (primarily between 1910 and 1960) these were sometimes used to restrict the sale, lease, or transfer of property to specific groups based on race, religion, ethnicity, sex, disability and other groups.

These restrictive covenants against protected classes are illegal and no longer enforceable after various court rulings and legislation, beginning in 1948. Statute now allows for property owners to file a discharge disavowing past inclusion of discriminatory covenants in their property’s history (Minnesota Statute 507.18, subd. 5).

The County Board passed a resolution disavowing the use of restrictive covenants for this purpose. Read the resolution (PDF).

How to check for restrictive covenants

  • Mapping Prejudice – this is not a definitive list of properties, but it is the most comprehensive.
  • Recent recording history search – per the County Board resolution, notice has been provided in the Abstract tract against all (both Abstract and Torrens) land potentially containing restrictive covenants in a property’s history based on Mapping Prejudice research.
  • Just Deeds – property owners or the public can get free legal and title services, including finding and disavowing restrictive covenants.
  • Consult a licensed abstract professional or a title company who is familiar with researching real property records.

What to do if you find these restrictive covenants

Because restrictive covenants affecting protected classes are no longer enforceable, you can choose to do nothing, or you can act based on whether your property’s land type is abstract or Torrens.

  • Torrens – most of these restrictive covenants have already been removed or will automatically be removed upon the next transfer of title. For information on how to remove one, see how to request an examiner's directive.
  • Abstract – you can disavow it by contacting Just Deeds or take the following steps.

1. Obtain the following information from the document containing the restrictive covenant affecting protected classes:

  • Document number
  • Date of recording
  • Names of owners
  • Legal description

2. Complete the Discharge of Restrictive Covenant Affecting Protected Classes form.

3. Have the form notarized.

4. Record the document with Hennepin County (See Conventional and eRecording information section). There is no fee for this type of recording.

My lender just sent me a document stating my mortgage has been satisfied (paid off) and told me I should record it, what should I do?

The document should be recorded in our office. Please look at the Recording fees section of this page to determine cost. Once the document is recorded, the original will be returned to you.

I owned property with someone as a joint tenant who has died. How do I remove that person from being an owner?

You must record an Affidavit of Survivorship with a certified copy of the decedent's death certificate to have the records updated.

Can I view recorded documents such as deeds, mortgages, and liens online?

We offer two online options.

What does "Torrens" mean?

Torrens describes land which has been registered by order of either District Court or the Examiner of Titles.

What is a Certificate of Title?

This certificate is issued when land is registered. It contains the name of the owner, a description of the land and all encumbrances, liens and interests in which the estate of the owner is subject.

How do I get a copy of a Torrens Certificate of Title?

If you are the owner of the property you may obtain a copy for free by calling 612-348-5139. If you are not the owner of the property, a Torrens Certificate is available for fee. Please see Document copy fees to determine cost.

Can I obtain a copy of a DD214 military separation?

If the military release is yours and it was recorded in Hennepin County after your discharge, you may obtain a copy. Federal regulations and data privacy rules require that military separations be available only to the veteran or those with a tangible interest (spouse, family member, etc.).

Additional information

  • Employees can ONLY review a document to make sure it contains the required elements in order to be recordable per Minnesota Statute.
  • If there is a well on the premises, the deed must be accompanied by a well disclosure certificate unless the face of the deed contains a statement to the effect that the number and status of the well(s) have not changed since the last recorded well disclosure certificate.
  • Employees of the Registrar of Titles/County Recorder cannot supply legal forms, help a submitter fill out documents, or provide legal advice. Consult your legal adviser.
  • Download legal forms, known as uniform conveyancing blanks (PDF).
Open all