Step 1: Pre-apply online
Save time and use our online application system to enter most of your information before coming to our office.
Legal name information
A marriage certificate is considered a legal document, and it’s important to file all legal documents in the same name to avoid future complications with state or federal agencies.
When completing the application:
- Enter your current full legal name - do not use nicknames
- If applicable, felony conviction requirements must be fulfilled
- You are allowed to legally change your middle and last names as well as suffixes (Jr, Sr, III, etc) during a marriage
Do not use numbers, symbols or offensive words
You may use hyphens and two-part names by entering more than one name in a name field
- First name cannot be changed as part of this process
- Review your marriage license documents before leaving our office to ensure they are accurate - especially the names and dates of birth
After your marriage, any requests for name changes require an amendment, documentation and a fee. All requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis, A review can take up to two weeks. Other name changes must be done through court as a petition for a legal name change.
Social Security numbers
You must provide both Social Security numbers or certify that you don't have one or both.
Pre-apply for your marriage license now!
Step 2: Visit service center
- Bring the receipt from your online pre-application (printed or a screen shot)
- Bring all required forms to a Hennepin County service center where your application process will be completed and you will receive your license
Save time – make an appointment at a service center.