Use the marriage record correction application to add or change information on your marriage record or marriage certificate filed in Hennepin County.
What can be corrected
Each applicant can request a correction for their own information only.
- Missing information
- Clerical errors or misspelling of before marriage name(s) – corrections to a before marriage name will carry over to an after-marriage name
Marriage date or place
These corrections can only be requested by the marriage officiant.
What cannot be corrected
This process is not for name changes that occur after a marriage has taken place. Legal name changes are done through district court.
Complete the marriage record correction application (PDF). Both applicants must sign and have signatures notarized, even if the correction is to only one of the applicant's information.
Provide copies of one primary and one secondary document or three secondary documents from the supporting document list (PDF). Documents must be in or translated to English and must:
- Be original certified copies issued by a government office, or a copy authenticated by the person issuing the document to you.
- Show the name exactly as it should appear on the marriage record.
- Be issued at, before or around the time of marriage with date clearly marked. Documents dated after the date of marriage application are not acceptable. Documents must show what your legal name was at or before time of application for marriage.
Print but do not sign the application.
Have the form notarized — e-notarization is acceptable.
Submit the completed application and check or money order:
- By mail to the address on the form, or
- Drop it off at one of our drop off locations.
- Limited walk-in services available based on staffing and physical spacing guidelines at our locations.
It takes up to two weeks for us to review your documentation and make a determination. If approved, we will process the information and mail you a paper record indicating what was changed and when the change happened. The original record on file will not be changed. If additional documentation is required, we will notify you.
$40. The fee is non-refundable.