Skip navigation

Food assistance

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps people with low income to buy the food they need for sound nutrition and well-balanced meals. The program issues its benefits electronically on a card that's used to buy food at local stores.

Apply for benefits

We’re changing the way we serve you by offering services in a way that is more convenient for you. Apply for economic benefits whenever, wherever. Apply online at MNbenefits or call 612-596-1300.

Upload documents online

Upload documents directly to your case with InfoKeep, a safe and secure website.

Digital access points

We're also adding technology tools in the community for people who aren't able to access online tools using their own personal devices. Using a digital access point, residents can:

  • Access and complete online applications
  • Scan and print Human Services documents
  • Use a phone to contact a representative
  • Register to vote

Find a digital access point

Open all

To renew your cash benefits, go to MNbenefits and click the Apply Now button. Individuals who are renewing their benefits will follow the same application process as those applying for benefits for the first time.

You will receive the Household Update Form (DHS-8107-ENG) in the mail even if you have already submitted your renewal application online. If you choose to complete the paper forms, once you have filled out and signed the form, return it to Hennepin County by uploading it through your InfoKeep account or to MNbenefits. You can also send your documents to our virtual drop box, or fax or mail them.

  • Virtual drop box:
  • Fax: 612-288-2981
  • Mail: Hennepin County Human Services Department, P.O. Box 107, Minneapolis, MN 55440

If you don't have access to these options, there are document drop boxes available at any Human Service Center.

Available drop boxes for residents

Northwest Human Service Center (Brooklyn Center)

Main floor lobby 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays only

Health Services Building (Downtown)

Main floor lobby 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays only

West Human Service Center (Hopkins)

Inside the building lobby 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturdays

South Suburban Human Service Center (Bloomington)

Outside building by Hennepin County entrance

South Minneapolis Human Service Center

Outside building near main entrance on Lake Street side of the building

North Minneapolis Human Service Center

Outside building near main entrance

Application and re-certification forms

The following forms are available for residents at Health Services Building (Downtown) and West Human Service Center (Hopkins). They will be located on a table near the drop box.

  • Health Care Programs Application for Certain Populations (DHS-3876)
  • MNsure Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs (DHS-6696)
  • Application for Payment of Long-Term Services (DHS-3531)
  • Application for Certain Populations (DHS-3876)
  • Combined Annual Renewal for Certain Populations (DHS-3727)
  • Combined Application (DHS-5223)
  • Minnesota Health Care Programs Renewal for People Receiving Long-Term Care Services (DHS-2128)
  • Minnesota Health Care Programs Renewal (DHS-3418)
  • Household Report (DHS-2120)
  • Combined Six-Month Report (DHS-5576)

You can visit to download any form.

Speak to a human services representative

You can also get help via phone while Human Service Centers are closed to the public by calling 612-596-1300, Monday – Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Fill out an application

Be aware that your benefits will not start until your paperwork is received and processed. Depending on the program for which you are applying, a phone interview may be required before your application can be processed.

To apply for assistance, fill out an online application or print the combined application form and mail it back to the address below. You may also call 612-596-1300 to have a form mailed to you.

You can mail the form to P.O. Box 107, Minneapolis, MN 55440.

Expedited food assistance

You may be eligible to receive benefits within 24 hours of your interview. You will need to provide ID. We can help you prove your identity.

Get help applying

You may have someone else apply for you. To do this, you must write a letter identifying that person as an "authorized representative" who has permission to complete the process on your behalf. If you are in the hospital or home bound, call our office for assistance.

You have the right to appeal

Applicants or clients who do not agree with an action taken on their case have the right to appeal. If you ask, you can continue to receive assistance while waiting for the appeal to be heard. However, if you lose the appeal, you must pay back any assistance received during that time.

You may bring an attorney, advocate, friend, or relative to the appeal hearing. The State of Minnesota will send a written decision to you after the hearing. Contact the Hennepin County Appeals Office at 612-348-2550 or 612-348-8852, or the Minnesota Department of Human Services Appeals office at 651-431-3600.

The goal of the SNAP Employment and Training Program (SNAP E&T) is to improve the employability, self-sufficiency and well-being of people receiving SNAP food benefits. SNAP E&T is a voluntary program — available to anyone receiving SNAP — and also offers a way to allow people on SNAP to meet the SNAP work requirements.

Trainings offered

  • Certifications and training
  • Job readiness training (e.g., preparing a resume or job application, interviewing skills, how to job search)
  • Life skills training (e.g., decision-making skills, balancing life and work, budget management, family-strengthening skills)
  • Secure resources to get and keep a job (e.g., clothing for job interviews, uniforms, transportation expenses)

Wherever you are on your path to employment, SNAP E&T services are available at numerous locations throughout Hennepin County depending on your interests and career goals. Contact Colleen Dufek at 612-596-1708 or who can help you navigate your options!

Work requirements

Some individuals who are between the ages of 19 and 49 may be limited to three months of SNAP benefits every three years unless they are working, or participating in a work or training program 20 hours per week such as SNAP E&T.

Some individuals can be exempt from this requirement due to a disability, care-taking responsibilities for a child under age six, among other reasons. Other restrictions may apply.

Please note that due to COVID-19, there will not be a limit to SNAP for three months every three years until June 2022.

Potential providers

In spring 2022, Hennepin County will post a request for proposals (RFP) for SNAP Employment and Training services online through the Hennepin County Supplier Portal with the goal of expanding our network of providers. With the COVID-19 public health emergency, the federal work and time-limit provisions for Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWDs) were waived. However, this waiver is set to end June 30, 2022. It is critical we have enough providers to serve ABAWDs to ensure they can maintain their food benefit.

For questions, please contact Neng Vang at or Colleen Dufek at You can also reach the office by phone at 612-596-1708.


Current providers

Are you already partnering with the county, and have a SNAP Employment and Training contract?

Open all