Skip navigation

Juvenile probation

Hennepin County Juvenile Probation engages with the community and juvenile justice partners to promote community safety, community restoration and offender change through proven interventions. The Juvenile Probation division is responsible for conducting pre-sentence, extended jurisdiction juvenile and adult certification investigations for juvenile court.

Following the investigation process, youth are ordered to administrative probation or supervised probation where they will receive community-based or out-of-home placement services with aftercare.

Open all

COVID-19 information

The Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation has temporarily moved several probation services to alternative locations. If you have an in-person meeting with your probation officer, you should contact them before your appointment to confirm the location. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

How to contact your probation officer

  • Please contact your probation officer by phone or email if you have a scheduled visit or if you need their assistance.
  • Do not show up in person if you do not have an appointment.
  • If you do not have your probation officer's contact information, please email
  • For general probation information and questions, you can contact us either by calling 612-348-3700 or emailing

When you visit county buildings (including all probation offices and correctional facilities)

  • Visitors to most county buildings are not required to wear a mask.
  • Visitors may still be required to wear a mask in certain county buildings, including correctional, detention, and health care settings. Follow instructions from signage and building staff.
  • Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated or at high-risk for COVID-19.
  • Visitors who have tested positive for COVID-19 or who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should not enter county buildings, when possible. If these visitors must enter, they should wear a mask.

Administrative probation

Administrative probation clients are not supervised in the same manner as traditional probation clients. These juveniles have a set of conditions ordered by a judge that need to be completed, but communication with a probation officer is rarely necessary.

Traditional probation

Generally, youth are assigned to probation officers in local offices close to where they live (North and South Minneapolis and the suburbs). Other juvenile clients may be assigned to specialized caseloads based upon their individual needs or the nature of their offenses.

Probation officers strive to:

  • Provide accountability and services to youth in the community.
  • Respond quickly to court ordered violations.
  • Use out-of-home placement only when there is a risk to public safety.

A juvenile client's level of supervision is determined by an initial assessment administered by a probation officer. Supervision levels are reassessed at six month intervals or as the youth’s circumstances change. Following the completion of the assessment, a youth's probation officer completes a case plan including goals, action steps and timelines for completion. This case plan is developed with the participation of the youth and family.

Supervising probation officers provide face-to-face contact in the office, home, school and the community.


Probation staff conduct pre-plea, pre-disposition, extended jurisdiction juvenile and adult certification investigation reports. These reports provide offense and case history information, diagnostic/assessment data and case plan recommendations to assist the court.

Neighborhood probation

Neighborhood probation officers collaborate with community members and a variety of agencies to promote safe communities, as well as enhance an understanding of juvenile probation services. Neighborhood probation officers have strong working relationships with local law enforcement to help address community concerns and juvenile delinquent issues.

Extended jurisdiction juvenile

Extended jurisdiction juvenile is a designation for the most serious juvenile offenders. Youth with this designation receive a dual sentence in juvenile and adult court. They remain under juvenile probation supervision until age 21 unless they violate their probation, thus triggering their adult sentence.

Probation officers supervise these youth if they are in placement or in the community. They provide intensive supervision, aftercare, employment, educational and cognitive programming for these youth after discharge from residential programs.

Gender-specific probation

Juvenile female offenders have unique needs, such as unresolved trauma, abuse, mental health concerns and frequent absenting. Gender-specific probation officers collaborate with community agencies to provide the department's female youth with the services they need.

Sex offender supervision

Sex offender probation officers provide intensive supervision and align youth with services in their community. They also utilize support groups and other therapeutic activities. These youth are ordered to complete either an outpatient treatment program or residential treatment placement.

Youth programming and services

Community Coaches

Community Coaches is a community-based alternative to detention and a tracking initiative that supports juveniles released from detention. These youth are supported by staff to ensure they attend their scheduled court date, do not commit additional offenses and complete previously ordered Sentencing-to-Service.

Gun offender program

Juveniles in court for gun-related offenses may be ordered to complete the gun offender program. This program is designed to engage youth in community restoration efforts and support services within their home community.

Mentors for Success

Juvenile probation offers mentoring services for youth under supervised probation. Services are offered for both male and female youth. Mentors meet with youth weekly for at least one year. Mentors work with youth to improve academic performance, social engagement, career and life skills.

Sexually exploited youth

Any youth, male or female, who have received drugs, money, food, shelter, protection or other necessities in exchange for sex or sexual acts, or youth who have been coerced or threatened into performing sex or sexual acts will be aligned with services to help them cope with their trauma. Juvenile probation works with youth to determine if they have been sexually exploited and works with county and community service providers to obtain services for these youth.

The juvenile court process can be difficult to navigate. If you have any questions as you go through the Hennepin County juvenile justice system, contact Hennepin County juvenile court information at 612-348-4822. Hennepin County juvenile court information can assist you with:

  • Expungements
  • Court records
  • Emancipation
  • Status offenses
  • Petty offenses
  • Curfew
  • Traffic tickets

Learn what to expect throughout the juvenile court process (YouTube).

The Hennepin County Attorney's Office may also be able to assist you with your questions. To contact their office, please call 612-348-5550.

Assessments and evaluations

Chemical health assessment

A chemical health assessment includes an interview with a counselor to review a person's chemical usage and its impact on their daily life. The assessment addresses each individual's unique needs, and may also include:

  • A diagnostic test
  • Review of medical, legal, mental health and treatment records
  • A physical screening
  • Assessment for the need of detox services
  • Interviews with other people in the youth's life

Competency evaluation

Any time a juvenile offender is believed to be mentally deficient or suffer from a mental illness that would preclude them from going through the traditional court process, a competency evaluation is performed.

Diagnostic assessment

A diagnostic assessment documents a clinical evaluation of the client's mental health, impact of behavioral difficulties, functional impairment and identifies the client's strengths and resources.

Neuropsychological assessment

A neuropsychological assessment addresses a client's underlying cognitive abilities related to thinking, reasoning, and judgment. This testing is conducted by a qualified neuropsychologist.

Psychiatric assessment

A psychiatric assessment is an evaluation of the causes and symptoms of a psychiatric disorder in order to formulate a diagnosis and a treatment plan.


In juvenile delinquency cases, a juvenile is alleged to have broken a law. Special court procedures have been created to address youth who break the law that are separate from the adult criminal process. Most juvenile court delinquency cases are not open to the public, except for serious crimes committed by youth over the age of 16. If the charge is proven in court, the court may make a finding of delinquency and the youth may be adjudicated as "delinquent."

Juvenile justice system

Who is my probation officer?

Call the Juvenile Probation front desk at 612-348-3700, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Who is my attorney?

If you have been appointed a public defender, contact the Public Defender's Office at 612-348-7530.

Does Hennepin County disclose client information to the general public?

Information collected about Juvenile Probation clients is protected under federal law and will not be shared with others unless the requestor is authorized by law or with an official release of information.

I think I have a warrant for my arrest, what do I do?

Contact your probation officer or the Juvenile Detention Center.

I haven’t been in contact with my probation officer. What should I do?

Being out of contact with your probation officer may prompt an unexpected visit or trip to the Juvenile Detention Center. Call your probation officer and schedule a face-to-face meeting.

Programs and services

What are my court orders?

After your court appearance, you should have received documents listing the orders of the court. If you or your guardian do not have this document, contact your probation officer to request an additional copy and to review your conditions of probation.

Items regularly found in court orders:

  • Sentencing to Service/community service (call 612-596-9250)
  • Letter of apology — let your probation officer know if you need assistance with writing your letter.

I was ordered onto Electronic Home Monitoring (EHM). What does it mean and what do I do next?

If you were ordered onto EHM, you should contact 612-596-0132.

I owe restitution. How much restitution do I owe and how do I pay?

Contact your probation officer or the restitution accounts manager by calling 612-348-3845.

Send your checks or money orders to:

Juvenile Probation
590 Park Ave.
Mpls, MN 55415
(Include the youth's name and date of birth on the memo line)

What is the paid work option?

Paid work is a day of Sentencing to Service (STS) with the only exception that your restitution account will be credited $30 per day upon successful completion. It is expected that you follow all STS rules. If you are removed from crew by the crew leader you forfeit all of the time accrued that day. You will not be credited for partial days, only full days.

You need to complete outstanding STS/community service in order to be eligible for the paid work program.

Evaluations and assessments

How do I get a chemical health assessment?

If completing a chemical assessment is a part of your probation conditions, contact your health insurance provider or your probation officer for assistance.

If a chemical assessment is not a condition of your probation order, call 612-348-4111 to get an assessment. If you are a tribal member, you can also call your tribal office.

I was ordered to complete a mental health evaluation. What does it mean and what do I do next?

If your child is not covered by insurance or if you are having difficulty requesting mental health services for your child, call Front Door Access at 612-348-4111.

In case of an emergency, please utilize these resources:

  • General emergencies: 911
  • Mental health child crisis: 612-348-2233
  • Sexually exploited youth hotline: 1-866-223-1111
  • Find food, shelter and more resources in the Handbook of the Streets (PDF).
Open all