Skip navigation

Adult probation

Adult Field Services (probation) works with the courts, community, victims, and clients to:

  • Assess defendants booked into jail
  • Conduct pre-sentencing investigations and preparing criminal history summaries
  • Supervise clients in the community
  • Provide transitional services for clients leaving state prisons

Program vetting group

A program vetting group meets throughout the year with new and existing community programs and providers. The program vetting group provides an opportunity for agencies to connect with probation staff and provide an overview of their services. If you are interested in being a resource for probation clients you can contact us at

Open all

COVID-19 information

The Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation has temporarily moved several probation services to alternative locations. If you have an in-person meeting with your probation officer, you should contact them before your appointment to confirm the location. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

How to contact your probation officer

  • Please contact your probation officer by phone or email if you have a scheduled visit or if you need their assistance. Do not show up in person if you do not have an appointment.
  • If you do not have your probation officer's contact information, please email
  • For general probation information and questions, you can contact us either by calling 612-348-2110 or emailing

Visiting county buildings

These requirements apply to all county buildings, including probation offices and correctional facilities.

  • Visitors to most county buildings are not required to wear a mask.
  • Visitors may still be required to wear a mask in certain county buildings, including correctional, detention, and health care settings. Follow instructions from signage and building staff.
  • Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated or at high-risk for COVID-19.
  • Visitors who have tested positive for COVID-19 or who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should not enter county buildings, when possible. If these visitors must enter, they should wear a mask.

We work with law enforcement, social services, neighborhood groups, local businesses, and nonprofits to reduce the risk of new crimes.

If you have a complaint about a probation or parole officer, you can make it in writing or in person to the officer's supervisor. The supervisor will respond within 10 business days. If still unsatisfied, you can make a complaint to the officer's program manager. Call your probation office for contact information.

If the complaint involves interpretation of a court order or condition of probation, contact your defense attorney.

Conditions of probation

There are standard rules required of everyone placed on probation, such as regular reporting and remaining law-abiding. The court may also impose conditions appropriate to the individual, such as chemical dependency treatment, counseling, jail time, restitution, or no contact with the victim.

You are required to report to a probation officer from weekly to monthly, depending on the supervision program and the length of time they have been on probation. The place and time of these contacts will be determined by the probation officer.

Leaving the state

If you are on felony probation you must obtain permission from your probation officer to leave Minnesota. A permanent move to another state may require transfer of supervision to an agent in the other state and permission of the new state. Some states do not accept the transfer of individuals convicted of sex offenses.

Leaving the country

If you are on felony probation you must consult with your probation or parole officer before any international travel. Some countries do not allow visitors with convictions, even after discharge from probation.

Voting and holding public office

If you are convicted of a felony you lose the right to vote or hold public office until court-ordered discharge from probation or end of sentence. At that time, your civil rights are restored, including the right to vote in this state and the right to be elected to public office.

Possession of firearms

State and federal laws prohibit the possession or use of firearms by people convicted of certain offenses. Please talk to your attorney or the Hennepin County Attorney's Office if you have questions about your particular situation.

Employment and residence

If you have a criminal conviction, you may be restricted from certain jobs, such as school bus driver, teacher, and health care worker. In addition, apartment owners have the right to refuse to rent to a person with a felony conviction.

Release of information

Some information about you may be released to the public including:

  • Name, age, date of birth, gender and occupation (not place of employment)
  • The offense for which you were originally charged
  • The offense for which you were sentenced
  • The names of the judge, attorneys and probation officer
  • Information contained in documents filed with the Clerk of Court

There are also special community notification and registration requirements for certain predatory offenders. The release of other information requires a court order or authorization from the client.

Open all