Proposed property tax notices (also called Truth-in-Taxation notices) show the proposed property tax to be applied to an address if the taxing jurisdictions approve the budgets and tax levies they are considering.
Local taxing authority current meeting details
The upper area of the (sample) statement identifies five key areas of information
1. The taxpayer's name and mailing address.
2. The property's identification number.
3. This is the situs address (the place where something, as a right, is held to be located in law) of the property.
4. These are property classifications and the market values used to determine the property taxes on the property, as each appears in the records of the county at the time of printing. The taxable market value is the estimated market value, as determined by the assessor, less any exclusions or deferrals that apply to the property
5. The percentage change between the taxes payable in the current year and the proposed taxes payable in the following year.
The lower area of the statement (using columns) has five key areas identified from left to right
6. This is the address and telephone number for each taxing authority that taxpayers may call if they have questions related to the notice and an address where comments will be received by mail. (a hyperlink is provided at the top of this column for the taxing authorities websites).
7. This is the actual tax for taxes payable in the current year in total and for each taxing authority.
8. This is the amount of property taxes each taxing authority proposes to collect for taxes payable the following year, in total and by taxing authority.
9. If your school district held a referendum at the November general election, and it was approved by the voters, the tax amount may be higher than shown on the notice.
10. This is the time and place of the regularly scheduled meeting, of each taxing authority, in which the budget and levy will be discussed and the public is invited to speak at the meeting. (a hyperlink is provided at the top of this column for the listing of the taxing authorities' meeting dates, time, and location).