We offer three ways to pay your property taxes online.
This is a no cost, fully automated electronic payment system allowing you to pay taxes over the internet.
Using our secure e-check saves postage and mailing hassles. It's a one-time payment of taxes directly from your checking or savings account.
This allows you to sign up to have your property tax payments automatically withdrawn twice a year from your checking or savings account on a recurring basis. Payments are withdrawn on May 15 and October 15 unless these dates fall on a weekend, in which case payment will be debited from your account within the next three business days.
This method of payment is not currently available for manufactured home properties or personal property.
Enrollment (new or change) information
Enrollment forms (new or for a change) should be received by April 15 for the first half payment and September 15 for the second half payment.
You will need the following information to complete your enrollment form:
- The 13-digit property ID number - found on your property tax statement or our property information search
- Your savings or checking account information (account and routing/transit number)
To enroll or change your direct debit information:
- Complete the enrollment form (PDF).
- Sign the form and mail it to the address listed on the form.
By submitting the signed form you agree to the terms and conditions printed on the form, including:
- Payments are normally withdrawn on May 15 and October 15. If these dates fall on a weekend, payment will be debited from your account within the next three business days.
- Your bank statement will be your record of payment.
- Participation remains in effect unless we receive a written request to cancel.
- Hennepin County reserves the right to terminate the direct payment status if the parcel reflects a property combination or division, tax adjustment, tax court petition in process, or if any attempt to debit your account is rejected by your financial institution.
Written notification is required to cancel your program enrollment or change your banking information. Your cancellation must be received by May 1 to be effective for the first half payment or by October 1 to be effective for the second half payment. Mail to:
Hennepin County Treasurer
Attn: Program Enrollment
A-600 Government Center
300 S 6th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55487-0060
Credit or debit card
Property taxes may be paid with Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover credit cards or with Visa or MasterCard debit cards through Paymentus Corporation. Use Paymentus or their automated phone system at 1-877-626-0017 to make a payment.
- All credit cards and MasterCard debit card will be subject to a 2.29% service fee.
- A Visa debit card will be subject to a flat fee of $3.95.
Frequently asked questions
Why does Hennepin County charge a fee for credit card transactions?
The fees are charged by the company we use to handle credit card transactions. Hennepin County does not charge a fee nor does it receive any of the fee amounts charged to you.
Why doesn't Hennepin County handle their own credit card transactions and eliminate the fee?
Minnesota Statute allows the counties to accept credit cards for payment of real-estate taxes but specifies that any fees charged by the credit card companies must be passed on to the taxpayer and not paid by the county.
I don't have to pay a fee when I use my credit card anywhere else. Why do I have to now?
There is always a fee charged by the credit card company, for the "loaning" of the money for 30 days. In private industry the merchant pays the fee but is able to recover the cost by increasing the price of their products.
If Hennepin County doesn't receive the fee amounts, who does?
The fee that is paid is divided between the credit card company and the third party (Paymentus in this instance). The county only gets the property tax payment. We receive none of the convenience fee.
Then why offer this service?
This is a service that taxpayers have requested for several years. Since we are prohibited from paying the fee, the only way we can offer credit cards as a payment option is to go through a third party.
Are there any other payment options I can use that don't charge a fee?
There are no fees associated with our other payment options.