Expect longer wait times

Please expect longer wait times due to new driver’s license and identification card system and requirements.

Minnesota residents are NOT required to change their driver’s license/identification card in 2018. A standard driver’s license or ID is acceptable for domestic air travel until October 2020.

State IDs

Sometimes non-drivers are asked to show identification. A state ID card fulfills that need and can be issued to a person of any age. 

Changes coming in 2020 to ID cards and driver's licenses

Starting October 2020, if you don’t have a passport, you will need to have either a REAL ID or an enhanced ID or driver’s license for domestic air travel. At that time, a standard ID or driver’s license will no longer be valid for domestic air travel.

Before traveling, always check with your destination for ID requirements. For those traveling now see MN driver’s license and ID options.

See the ID options section for more details or visit MN Driver and Vehicle Services.

Save time: Pre-apply for your license

You still need to visit an office to complete the request to get your new Minnesota license.

  • Pre-applying online will decrease the time you spend at the counter when getting your license
  • Please be sure to bring your confirmation page and the documents listed on the confirmation you receive at the end of your request
  • Pre-apply for your license now
Expand all information

ID options

Applications available now

Standard – Valid for:

  • Domestic air travel – through October 1, 2020
  • Identification and lawful driving privileges 

REAL ID compliant (not required until 2020) – Valid for:

Enhanced ID (U.S. citizens only, not required until 2020)

We stop taking applications for enhanced IDs one (1) hour prior to closing.

Valid for:

  • Domestic air travel
  • Re-entry into the U.S. via land and sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean
  • Access to federal and military facilities
  • Identification and lawful driving privileges

Traveling now? See MN driver’s license and ID options.

Additional information

  • Your new state ID will be mailed to you in four to six weeks after submitting an application.
  • Carry your current identification and the stamped yellow receipt you receive when you apply until the new ID arrives.
  • If you are under 21 years old, your card will be marked “Under -21” and is valid until your 21st birthday.
  • If you are between 21 and 65 years old, your ID expires on your birthday four years after you receive it.
  • Cards issued to anyone age 65 or over are valid for life.
  • Collapse all information