Sometimes non-drivers are asked to show identification. A state ID card fulfills that need and can be issued to a person of any age.
Changes coming October 2020 to ID cards and driver's licenses
Starting October 2020 standard driver’s licenses and state IDs will no longer be valid for domestic air travel. If you don’t have a passport, you will need to have one of the following:
- Real ID compliant driver’s license
- Enhanced driver’s license
- Real ID compliant state ID
- Enhanced state ID
Before traveling, always check with your destination for ID requirements. For those traveling now see MN driver’s license and ID options.
See the ID options section for more details or visit MN Driver and Vehicle Services.
Watch a video about the federal REAL ID Act requirements, when you’ll need a REAL ID-compliant card, and what documents you’ll need to apply for a REAL ID. Minnesota REAL ID: Be REAL ID Ready by October 2020 (video).
Save time: pre-apply for your license
You still need to visit an office to complete the request to get your new Minnesota license.
- Use the online pre-application to decrease the time you spend at the counter when getting your state ID
- Bring the confirmation page you receive at the end of your request and any documents listed in the confirmation
- Pre-apply for your license now