Anyone who drives a motor vehicle on public streets or highways in Minnesota must carry a valid and unexpired driver’s license.
Renewal of Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) may require additional documentation and information. See MN Driver and Vehicle Services.
Changes coming in 2020 to driver's licenses and state ID cards
Starting October 2020 standard driver’s licenses and state IDs will no longer be valid for domestic air travel. If you don’t have a passport, you will need to have one of the following:
- Real ID compliant driver’s license
- Enhanced driver’s license
- Real ID compliant state ID
- Enhanced state ID
Before traveling, always check with your destination for ID requirements. For those traveling now see MN driver’s license and ID options.
See the Driver’s license options section for more details or visit MN Driver and Vehicle Services.
Save time: Pre-apply for your license
You still need to visit an office to complete the request to get your new Minnesota license.
- Use the online pre-application to decrease the time you spend at the counter when getting your license
- Bring the confirmation page you receive at the end of your request and any documents listed in the confirmation
- Pre-apply for your license now
Driver's license testing locations
Find testing locations, business hours and phone numbers on the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services office location finder.