Step two in the process of becoming a licensed Minnesota driver is obtaining your provisional license. This license is valid for two years from the date of application and has restrictions that do not apply to a full Class D driver's license.
If you are 18 and have held your instructional permit for at least six months you may immediately apply for your first time driver's license.
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have successfully passed a road test
- Have completed behind-the-wheel instruction
- Have completed 30 hours of classroom instruction
- Had an instruction permit (step 1) for six months with no conviction for moving or alcohol/controlled-substance violations
- Have a signature from a parent or guardian certifying at least 30 hours (10 of which must have been at night) of supervised (with a person at least 21 years old) driving
Complete the pre-application online.
Gather your required documents and review appointment requirements and schedule an appointment.
You can also come in to one of our locations. Walk-in services are limited based on staffing and physical spacing guidelines.
When you come in
Bring the following:
- Your Social Security number if you have one
- If you're under 18, a parent or guardian (with ID) to also sign the application
- Proof of your completed classroom instruction
- Proof of enrollment in behind-the-wheel instruction
During the first six months
Only one passenger under the age of 20 is permitted, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Driving is prohibited from midnight until 5 a.m. unless the provisional driver is:
- Accompanied by a licensed driver at least 25 years old
- Driving between home and work
- Driving between home and a school event for which the school does not provide transportation
- Driving for employment purposes
During the second six months
No more than three passengers under the age of 20 are permitted, unless accompanied by a parent/guardian.
Note: passengers under 20 who are members of the provisional driver’s immediate family are permitted during both time periods.