Skip navigation

Mental health and substance use services

24-7 mental health crisis services

Visit the mental health emergencies page.

Visiting county buildings

  • Visitors to most county buildings are not required to wear a mask.
  • Visitors may still be required to wear a mask in certain county buildings, including correctional, detention, and health care settings. Follow instructions from signage and building staff.
  • Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated or at high-risk for COVID-19.
  • Visitors who have tested positive for COVID-19 or who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should not enter county buildings, when possible. If these visitors must enter, they should wear a mask.
Open all

You can get help with substance use concerns. If you live in the county we can help with treatment and recovery services.


  • Drug and alcohol use evaluation
  • Detox (withdrawal management)
  • Help for pregnant women with substance use concerns
  • In-patient and out-patient treatment
  • Medication-assisted treatment
  • Help coordinating your care
  • Peer support from others in recovery
  • Supportive housing

Getting evaluated for drug and alcohol use (Rule 25)

If you need help paying for treatment you may be eligible for assistance.

You must be a county resident or covered by Hennepin Health.

You must also meet one of these criteria:

  • Meet income guidelines
  • Be on a medical assistance (MA) fee-for-service program
  • Be on MNSure

For more information call county social services at 612-348-4111.

Help for pregnant people living with substance use

If you are pregnant and living with substance use, Project CHILD can help.

Learn more about Project CHILD.

For service providers - to refer a client or make a report

Certain providers must report substance use by a pregnant person. These include professionals in health care, social services, education and child care. 

We accept reports/referrals for voluntary services by phone at 612-879-3609, or by fax at 612-321-3771. 

To make a report involving a pregnant person younger than 16, call 612-348-3552.

Contact information

Screening/eligibility/MN Rule 25

HC application/Rule 25 assessment forms

Technical information/tools for assessors-SUD programs

SUD Treatment Center information

Direct access information

Services include assessments, individual and family therapy, in-home counseling and skills training, day treatment, and case management.

These services aim to support and improve children's:

  • Social and emotional development and well-being
  • Relationships with family and friends, and
  • Ability to function effectively at home, in school and in the community

Common children’s mental health issues

  • Problems getting along with peers or adults
  • Inability to control anger or aggression
  • Inability to manage worries, troubling thoughts or feelings
  • Not being able to pay attention or focus
  • Feeling sad or worthless
  • Engaging in risky or self-injurious behavior
  • Inability to cope with significant losses, traumas, major life events and changes
  • Other difficulties related to a child’s mood, behavior, thoughts or relationships

Addressing your child’s mental health needs

We can speak with you about options for helping your child including:

  • Getting your child assessed for their mental health needs
  • Helping identify options regardless of your insurance coverage or ability to pay
  • Options for case management services (ongoing support)

Call Hennepin County Front Door at 612-348-4111 or email at

Ongoing support (case management)

Case managers work with parents to support children with serious mental health issues.

They create a plan for a child’s needs: social, emotional, health, school and vocational.

To get a case manager:

  • A mental health professional must assess the child
  • The assessment must show that the child has a severe emotional disturbance

For questions

Call our Front Door at 612-348-4111 or email at

The clinic has moved

The new location is at the South Minneapolis Human Service Center.

For more information call 612-596-9438.

Who we serve

The clinic serves adults, children, adolescents and families who live in or receive services from the county.

We’re a DHS Rule 29 safety-net community mental health center.

Mental Health Center client handbook (PDF)

Make an appointment or referral

Call: 612-596-9438

Fax: 612-329-4500 

Mental Health Center hours

  • Monday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Thursday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Closed on holidays

To qualify for services at the center

A person must either live in Hennepin County or receive county services.

We serve adults, children, adolescents and families:

  • Those with serious mental illness or other mental health needs
  • Those who also may have substance use concerns
  • Those referred by another Hennepin County program
  • Those who are experiencing homelessness

If you are interested in learning more or to schedule an appointment, call us or walk in to the center.

Types of help you can get

Our multidisciplinary team of providers offer the following services:

  • Diagnostic assessments
  • Psychiatric evaluation and medication management
  • Psychological and parenting evaluations
  • Individual and group psychotherapy
  • Primary care for adult clients who are active in mental health treatment
  • Rule 25 assessments
  • Pharmacy services
  • Laboratory services
  • Help applying for health insurance
  • Supported employment services
  • Care coordination

Paying for services

  • We accept public insurance
  • We also offer sliding fee and self-pay options. These apply if you don’t have public insurance or it doesn’t cover your visit.
  • We can help you apply for medical assistance

The experience of getting care at the center

  • We’re inclusive and work across cultures
  • If you have trauma in your background, we can help
  • We provide holistic care and treat you like a whole person
  • We’re flexible and offer scheduled and walk-in appointments
  • Everyone is welcome
  • We’re inclusive; everyone is welcome here
  • We’re flexible and offer scheduled and walk-in appointments
  • We strive to deliver culturally competent care
  • We work with you, as a team, to help you reach your goals
  • Our services are holistic, trauma-conscious, and healing-centered

If you have health insurance or are on medical assistance

Call your health plan's member services or your doctor.

If you do not have health insurance

Call 612-596-1300 or toll free 844-803-8466, or visit our health care assistance page.

If you still have questions

Call Hennepin County Front Door at 612-348-4111.

You can call that number Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. except holidays.

You will speak with someone to help you identify your needs and offer options for service.

We may refer you to services or agencies for treatment and support. These could include:

  • Adult rehabilitative mental health services (ARMHS)
  • Community support program access
  • Intensive residential treatment
  • Outpatient mental health services
  • Case management
  • Assertive Community Treatment (ACT)
  • Supportive housing
  • Supportive employment
  • Chemical health assessment and treatment
  • Connections to resources in the community
Open all