Affordable Housing Incentive Fund
To create or preserve long-term affordable housing for very low-income households
Who can apply
Applicants can include private and non-profit housing developers, cities, government and non-profit agencies.
Types of projects
- New construction, substantial and moderate rehabilitation, and preservation
We give priority to projects that:
- Develop long-term affordable housing units for very low-income households
- Create housing opportunities for people experiencing homelessness
- Create housing opportunities for county human services clients
- Promote the connection of affordable housing to transit, employment opportunities, school, and supportive services
- Leverage private and public funding
Support a full range of housing choices throughout the county
Application and funding timeline
The 2021 application period has closed. Grants are awarded annually as part of a coordinated development request for proposals posted in early January each year.
Applications are submitted and managed through the Hennepin County Supplier Portal.
Each year, we award up to $3.5 million across 8 to 11 projects.
Since 2000, Hennepin County has invested $63 million through AHIF, contributing to 11,437 total housing units, 8,324 of which are affordable to households with income at or below 60% the area median income.
Related links and materialsLearn more about the annual coordinated development request for proposals