To make your visit efficient, safe and productive, review the following guidelines before you visit our drop-off facilities.
Who can use our facilities
- Households only (excluding organics and some recyclable materials).
- Residents of Hennepin, Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Ramsey, and Washington counties only. Residents from Scott, Sherburne and Wright counties are not eligible to use our drop-off facilities.
In general, Hennepin County does not accept waste from businesses, with the exceptions of cardboard, scrap metal, recycling, and organics recycling from small businesses.
Businesses include rental properties, condominium, neighborhood, or townhouse associations; governmental entities; home-based businesses; nonprofit organizations; or any other activity intended to produce income. Hennepin County will not accept waste from commercial activities that was generated or stored in a household. For disposal options, businesses should search Commercial Hazardous Waste Disposal Companies fact sheet (PDF).
Check whether we accept your item
Safely transport household hazardous wastes
- Transport your household hazardous wastes in sealed containers, in an upright position, in a plastic lined box. Make sure all containers are 5-gallons or less in size and properly labeled with the contents.
Remember to bring
- Proof of residency, such as a driver's license or utility bill, is required
- Payment (if applicable): cash, check or credit card (Visa, Discover, Mastercard) accepted.
When you get to our facilities
- Drive up and check in. Drive up to booth outside of building. An attendant will greet you and check you in. Please have a list of the items you have for disposal. Pay for any items that have fees at this time.
- Facility staff will direct you based on the materials you have to drop off.
- Drive slowly and be aware of pedestrians.
- Please note that the Brooklyn Park facility includes full and self-serve areas; the Bloomington facility is full-service.
Additional facility information and services
Additional disposal options
If your items are still in good shape, look for donation opportunities on the Choose to Reuse website.
If you don't live in Hennepin County, visit RethinkRecycling.com to find facility information for the other metro counties.