Skip navigation

Obtaining a hazardous waste license

All businesses located in Hennepin County that generate hazardous wastes need to be licensed.

The hazardous waste licensing forms are designed to help new or unlicensed generators determine if their businesses needs a hazardous waste license, assess their hazardous waste management, become compliant with hazardous waste regulations and apply for a license, all without requiring an inspection.

Steps to obtaining a hazardous waste license

Obtaining a hazardous waste license is a three-step process:

  1. Complete the online general and contact information section
  2. Complete the applicable forms for the wastes you generate
  3. Register in the online licensing portal, submit an electronic management plan summary, remit payment for licensing fees (if applicable) and obtain a hazardous waste generator license.

Reporting moves, closures and changes of ownership

The steps listed are for businesses that need to obtain a hazardous waste license for the first time.

Open all

Completing step 2: waste reporting and evaluation

In this step, you will complete Option 2A or Option 2B:

  • Complete Option 2A if your business activities is in one of the applicable industry categories: paint, retailers and wholesalers, or vehicle and tool maintenance and repair.
  • Complete Option 2B if your business activities are not in one of the industry categories in Option 2A.

Before getting started, you may want to review typical wastes generated by industry (PDF). Please note this is an assistance document and is not intended to list every industry or every possible waste a company may generate.

Company's are responsible for creating a waste inventory, evaluating, and self-reporting those wastes to Hennepin County as instructed in this step. Failure to complete this step may subject you and your company to penalties as specified in Hennepin County Ordinance 7. See our flyer on evaluating your wastes (PDF) for a step-by-step checklist.

Option 2A: online forms for specific industries

If your business is in any of the following industries, complete the applicable online form:

Option 2B: specific waste forms

If your business is in an industry category not listed in Option 2A, you must print the specific forms for each of the wastes your company generates or has the potential to generate. Complete these forms and return them to Hennepin County.

If you generate wastes that are not listed above, report these wastes using form 2: hazardous waste management plan (PDF). Also see the form 2 instructions (PDF).

To complete option 2B, you must complete the following form:

Obtaining a hazardous waste identification number

This applies to businesses using both option 2A and option 2B.

If you haven't yet obtained a hazardous waste identification number from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), you must do so by using the MPCA's e-services portal. See the instructions (PDF) for more information.

Hazardous waste identification numbers are also referred to as EPA ID numbers. If you are not sure if you need a hazardous waste identification number, please contact 612-348-3777 and ask to speak with the self-audit hazardous waste licensing staff.

After you complete step 1 and 2 of the hazardous waste licensing process, a hazardous waste inspector will review the information you submitted to determine whether or not your business needs to obtain a hazardous waste generator license.

You will be notified by email or phone within 14 days of submitting the step 1 and 2 forms with further instructions or that no further action is required.

If you are required to obtain a license, you will be provided with a PIN and 16-digit operation ID that will allow you to register in the online hazardous waste licensing system. You may also need to pay applicable hazardous waste license fees.

Open all