Skip navigation

Septic systems

Hennepin County regulates most septic systems in the county. This includes inspections and enforcement. The program protects ground and surface water and prevents waterborne illness.

Open all

If you live in one of these cities, contact your city directly for septic system questions:

Dayton: 763-427-4589

Hopkins: 952-935-8474

Independence: 763-479-0527

Loretto: 763-479-4305

Medina: 763-473-4643

New Hope: 763-531-5100

Orono: 952-249-4600

Richfield: 612-861-9700

St. Louis Park: 952-924-2500

Woodland: 952-474-4755

Residents of these cities should contact Hennepin County for septic system questions

  • Bloomington
  • Brooklyn Center
  • Brooklyn Park
  • Champlin
  • Corcoran
  • Crystal
  • Deephaven
  • Eden Prairie
  • Edina
  • Excelsior
  • Golden Valley
  • Greenfield
  • Greenwood
  • Hanover
  • Long Lake
  • Maple Grove
  • Maple Plain
  • Medicine Lake
  • Minneapolis
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport
  • Minnetonka
  • Minnetonka Beach
  • Minnetrista
  • Mound
  • Osseo
  • Plymouth
  • Robbinsdale
  • Rockford
  • Rogers
  • Shorewood
  • St. Anthony
  • St. Bonifacius
  • Spring Park
  • Tonka Bay
  • Wayzata

Printable map

Hennepin County septic system map (PDF)

Properly disposing of a septic tank (abandonment)

Criteria for a Hennepin County abandonment

  1. The abandonment has no new construction (stand-alone abandonment)
  2. Septic systems in your city are regulated by the county

Inspections and required steps

We typically don’t do an on-site inspection if you follow these steps:

1. Along with payment, submit a septic abandonment permit application (PDF)

2. Once you receive a permit:

  • Have the tank pumped using a licensed pumper/maintainer
  • Take photos of the tank either crushed, filled with rock, or removed
  • Complete the abandonment reporting form

3. Within 90 days of completing step 2, email these documents:

Email documents to and


Contact Terry Hamal at or 612-543-5249.

In Hennepin County, selling your home doesn't require a septic system inspection.

By state law you must properly disclose to the buyer information about the septic system.

A well-informed buyer will want a thorough inspection.

Many lenders require a compliance inspection before they issue a mortgage.

Find a licensed inspector

County inspections

Systems the county inspects

  • New septic systems
  • New septic tanks or holding tanks
  • Current septic systems under investigation because of a complaint
  • The county doesn't inspect septic systems needing a compliance inspection report. For this you must contract with a private septic professional.

Certificates of compliance

  • Existing systems: Compliance inspection report valid for three years
  • New systems: Certificate of compliance valid for five years

Notice of noncompliance

  • Three years to upgrade septic.
  • An imminent health threat must be addressed within 10 days and fixed within 10 months. An imminent health threat means sewage surfaces to the ground or backs into the home.

Building permits

Subject to either septic permit approval or compliance inspection:

  • All building permits for new commercial or new residential structures
  • Any permits for bedroom(s) additions, any additions or remodeling of commercial facilities where water use will increase
  • Any permits for a major addition or remodel of a home or building on the property, if the drainfield lies within the shoreland or wellhead protection area. Check your city for shoreland and wellhead protection areas.

Older septic systems

Septic systems built before January 23, 1996 are compliant if they meet two criteria:

  1. Two feet of soil separation is provided
  2. It is not classified as an imminent health threat. This means sewage surfaces above ground or backs into the home.

This provision excludes:

  • Shoreland areas
  • Food, beverage, and lodging facilities
  • Wellhead protection areas
  • New construction

Wetland requirement

Septic drainfields or mounds must be set back 50 feet from a wetland that's type three or higher.

Warrantied systems

Warrantied systems are not allowed. See warrantied systems under MN Statutes Chapter 115.55.

Open all