Hennepin County plants and maintains trees on county-owned properties and projects and provides assistance to cities, community organizations and schools.
Volunteers needed for tree planting in Golden Valley
Volunteers are needed for a tree planting on Saturday, October 21, 2017, from 9 a.m. to noon along Winnetka Avenue in Golden Valley. Light refreshments and lunch will be served.
To volunteer, contact Jen Kullgren at email@example.com or 612-596-1175.
The county maintains a gravel-bed nursery, located at the Hennepin County Adult Corrections Facility in Plymouth, to give the county access to hardy, diverse and cost-effective trees for use on county projects and properties.
Every spring, 1,500 young saplings of a variety of species are purchased from commercial nurseries and planted in the gravel-bed. The trees grow and develop a good root structure throughout the summer, and are ready to be transplanted in the fall.
Compared to conventional nursery trees, the gravel-bed nursery gives the county access to a wider diversity of tree species, produces trees that have a higher survival rate, and allows the county to plant trees in a more cost-effective manner. The gravel-bed nursery is also helping the county proactively replace ash trees that will ultimately be infested with the emerald ash borer.
Trees from the gravel-bed nursery are transplanted to a variety of county projects and properties.
Examples of planting projects that the county has or is working on include:
- Arbor Day plantings at various locations
- Community locations: including the Cepro site and other locations along the Midtown Greenway
- Hennepin County facilities, including the Adult Corrections Facility in Plymouth, Augsburg Park Library in Richfield, The Brookdale Regional Center in Brooklyn Center, drop-off facilities in Bloomington and Brooklyn Park, Parkers Lake Golf Center in Plymouth, and the Orono Maintenance Facility
- Restoration projects, including a woodland and prairie restoration at the Public Works Facility in Medina and various restoration projects on conservation easements
- Transportation and transit corridors, including Hiawatha Ave/CSAH 55 in Minneapolis, CSAH 81 in Crystal and Robbinsdale, Douglas Drive in Golden Valley, and Normandale Boulevard in Bloomington
Additionally, Hennepin County helped the City of Minneapolis and North High School install a gravel-bed nursery in the school courtyard that will be used to educate students and proactively replace ash trees on the school property.
If you are looking for assistance with a planting project or are interested in installing a gravel-bed nursery, contact Dustin Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-348-2259.