Major reconstruction activities complete
Enjoy an improved and safer traveling experience
Major construction activities for the West Broadway Avenue Bridges (County Road 81) reconstruction project are now complete.
People driving now have access to all travel lanes on the bridges. In addition, all people traveling through the area can now use the intersection, under the bridges, that connects Theodore Wirth and Victory Memorial parkways, as well as Oakdale and Lowry (County Road 153) avenues.
View of the new West Broadway Avenue bridges.
View of the new Lowry Avenue on-ramp bridge and connecting trails.
The reopening wraps up two years of reconstruction. During this time, crews constructed bridges, roadways, intersections and trails that update the design and improve this important connection for Robbinsdale and North Minneapolis.
As people travel the area, they can enjoy a safer and better traveling experience.
People walking, rolling and biking will enjoy:
- New trails and added paths that improve connections for Grand Rounds Trail users
- Updated sidewalks and on-street bikeways that improve connections
- Redesigned intersection with shortened crosswalk distances and median refuge areas that enhance safety
- Updated pedestrian curb ramps that meet Americans with Disability Act standards that improves access for all
People driving and using transit will enjoy:
- New bridges for West Broadway Avenue and Lowry Avenue users that provide a reliable connection
- Redesigned intersection connecting between Theodore Wirth and Victory memorial parkways and Oakdale and Lowry avenues that improves traffic flow and safety for all users
- Realigned ramp connections that improve sight distance and help with safer merging at West Broadway Avenue
Additional work planned next spring
We have some more work at the intersection next spring, like pouring concrete, placing permanent striping, landscaping and installing the new city monument signs. We expect these final items to take up to two months to complete. So, look for our crews next spring and plan for some possible impacts to your travel through the area when crews are back on site.
Thank you from the project team
We thank you for your patience while we worked to improve this area.
You will hear from us again when construction activities resume next spring. Until then, we wish you safe travels.