To make your visit efficient, safe and productive, review the following guidelines before you visit our drop-off facilities.
Who can use our facilities
Households only (excluding organics and some recyclable materials).
Residents of Hennepin, Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Ramsey, and Washington counties only. Residents from Scott, Sherburne and Wright counties are not eligible to use our drop-off facilities.
In general, Hennepin County does not accept waste from businesses, with the exceptions of cardboard, scrap metal, recycling, and organics recycling from small businesses.
Businesses include rental properties, condominium, neighborhood, or townhouse associations; governmental entities; home-based businesses; nonprofit organizations; or any other activity intended to produce income. Hennepin County will not accept waste from commercial activities that was generated or stored in a household. For disposal options, businesses should search Commercial Hazardous Waste Disposal Companies fact sheet (PDF).
Check whether we accept your item
Before you visit, check whether your item is accepted at our drop-off facilities by browsing the Green Disposal Guide. You can also email email@example.com or call 612-348-3777.
Safely transport household hazardous wastes
Transport your household hazardous wastes in sealed containers, in an upright position, in a plastic lined box. Make sure all containers are 5-gallons or less in size and properly labeled with the contents.
Remember to bring:
- Proof of residency, such as a driver's license or utility bill, is required
- Payment (if applicable): cash, check or credit card (Visa, Discover, Mastercard) accepted.
Fees are charged for certain items at the drop-off facilities.
- Tires:$3 each
- Appliances: $15 each.
- TVs, computer monitors and laptops: $10 each
- Mattresses and box springs (accepted at Brooklyn Park ONLY) : $20 each for any size.
When you get to our facilities
- Drive up and check in. Drive up to booth outside of building. An attendant will greet you and check you in. Please have a list of the items you have for disposal. Pay for any items that have fees at this time.
- Facility staff will direct you based on the materials you have to drop off.
- Drive slowly and be aware of pedestrians.
- Please note:
- Brooklyn Park facility includes full and self-serve areas.
- Bloomington facility is full-service.
Free product centers
Both facilities have reusable paint, automotive products, cleaners, adhesives and other products available for free. Residents must be 18 years or older to participate. The county does not guarantee these products or their availability, and items selected by residents are used at their own risk.
Additional facility information and services
Additional disposal options
If your items are still in good shape, look for donation opportunities on the Choose to Reuse website.
If you don't live in Hennepin County, find facility information for other metro counties at RethinkRecycling.com.