Homeowners and developers can receive up to $5,000 ($2 per square foot) for projects that use deconstruction techniques.
- Applicants must be a homeowner or developer in Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Deephaven, Edina, Excelsior, Greenwood, Hopkins, Minneapolis, Maple Grove, Mound, St. Louis Park, and Woodland (additional cities will be considered for participation as the program expands).
- The work must be on residential properties, including houses and apartment buildings up to four units.
- Projects must meet the reuse and disposal criteria described below.
- The structure being demolished or renovated must have been built prior to 1950.
- The size of structure or area of renovation must be 250 square feet or larger.
- Deconstruction of accessory or commercial structures are not eligible for funding.
Reuse and disposal criteria
To qualify for funding, projects must meet the following criteria:
- A pre-demolition inspection must be conducted by Hennepin County staff.
- A minimum of five material types in category A and one material type from category B must be removed for reuse to qualify for funding (see the materials included in each category in the application below).
- At least 550 pounds of material from category B must be deconstructed for reuse.
- All non-reusable building material generated from the project is sent to a Hennepin County approved construction and demolition waste recycling processing facility.
Category A includes brick or stone blocks, cabinets, casing around doors and windows, light fixtures, mantels, molding, plumbing fixtures, solid wood doors, stair treads and railings, stone details, radiators, wood-framed windows, and shutter or siding.
Category B includes wood flooring, dimensional lumber, and ceiling and floor joists.
Notification of funding
Applicants will be notified within five business days of the county receiving the application whether the project is awarded funds. The county will develop a contract with the homeowner or developer outlining the details for reimbursement.
Disbursement of funding
If awarded, funds will be dispersed upon completion of deconstruction work and verification of material being reused, recycled, or disposed. The following must be submitted to receive funding:
- Itemized receipts from reuse retailers.
- Documentation showing weight of material sent to a Hennepin County approved construction and demolition waste recycling facility.
Hennepin County staff are available to determine project specifications and eligibility and answer questions about deconstruction. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.