Continued corridor growth
The Midtown Greenway has delivered on the initial vision to build long-term value in struggling areas through investments in green spaces and public works infrastructure.
Community partnerships and continued investment in the corridor have helped catalyze:
- $1 billion increase in property value within ¼ mile of the greenway
- 1.5 million square feet of new commercial space
- 4,390 new multifamily housing units
- More than $750 million in public and private investment
- Creation of thousands of new jobs in the corridor
- An increase in cycling in Minneapolis
- Over 5,000 plantings of trees and shrubs along the greenway
The beauty and functionality of the corridor is obvious. In 2013, USA Today named it one of the top urban bike paths in the country, and in 2015, the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy entered it in the Rail-Trail Hall of Fame.
And the greenway continues to get better. In July 2017, the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners approved up to $765,000 in matching funds for final implementation of the Midtown Community Works program, which has become a model for similar programs in Hennepin County and nationwide. Key final activities include improving wayfinding, completing key bicycle and pedestrian connections, and enhancing public space infrastructure.
Greenway partners include the Midtown Greenway Coalition and the Midtown Community Works partnership.