March 2018 update
This year, Hennepin County, in coordination with the city of Richfield, will continue major reconstruction of 66th Street (County Road 53).
This year's activity is expected to start in late March and last through November. Major work will occur between Humboldt and Portland avenues (with additional minor activities occurring on the east and west ends of the city.) Construction activities will include removing and replacing underground utilities, updating curbs and gutters, moving overhead utilities underground and replacing pavement.
Starting the week of January 15, crews from Xcel Energy will be upgrading their underground facilities between Rae Drive/Lakeshore Drive and Girard Avenue. Please anticipate intermittent short-term lane closures as work continues through early April.
As work progresses eastwards, Lynwood Boulevard and Emerson Avenue will be restricted to right turns only. Impacted residents will receive notifications prior to the work.
A few other things will be occurring along 66th Street over the winter:
- Crews from Xcel Energy will be removing the power poles on the north side of 66th Street between Washburn Avenue and I-35W and between 11th and 16th avenues.
- Crews will be using intermittent short-term lane closures during winter work.
- Even though this road remains under construction into 2018, county snow and ice removal teams will maintain it through the construction area throughout the winter.
This schedule is subject to change.
Major street reconstruction between:
- Xerxes and Humboldt avenues
- Oakland and 16th avenues
- Major street reconstruction between Humboldt and 5th avenues
- Restoration and completion of some sidewalks in the 2017 work areas
- Final restoration and completion of some sidewalks in the 2018 work areas