Week of July 16 update
The second year of 66th Street (County Road 53) reconstruction is underway. Major work this year will occur between Humboldt and Portland avenues.
Below is what you can expect along 66th Street these next few weeks:
Closure between 5th and 1st avenues July 18 and 19 for paving
Next Wednesday, July 18, and Thursday, July 19, daytime travel will be restricted on 66th Street between 5th and 1st avenues, for crews to begin paving the road between 5th and Stevens avenues.
People driving motor vehicles or riding bicycles on the road should anticipate a moving closure as equipment and crews are moving around. The side streets off 66th Street will remain open for the majority of the time with the exception of when work is occurring in the immediate area.
Work is anticipated to be completed during daytime hours, between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. This schedule is weather dependent.
66th Street and Lyndale Avenue intersection remains closed until late July
The intersection of 66th Street and Lyndale Avenue is now closed to all modes of transportation (people driving motor vehicles, riding bicycles, walking or rolling) while crews replace underground utilities and construct the new roundabout.
A few things to note during the closure:
- Driveway entrances near 66th Street and Lyndale Avenue remain accessible
- Residents, employees and customers should use the signed alternate route via 70th Street, Portland Avenue, 64th Street, 65th Street and Lake Shore Drive to reach your destination
- Pedestrian access is available and signed
Crews remove pavement at 66th Street and Lyndale Avenue intersection
Construction under 35W bridge
Crews have started working on the west end of this year's construction area, around the I-35W bridge. Lane restrictions are in place around the area while excavation and work to replace deep underground utilities begins. Please plan for additional travel time if you are using this area of 66th Street. Temporary signals have been installed recently to accommodate these changes.
Side street closures at Girard and Emerson avenues
As utility work begins around the I-35W bridge area, crews will need to begin closing side street access to 66th Street in the area, including:
- Closing access to Girard Avenue on the south side of 66th Street, beginning July 13 (residents will have access from 67th Street)
- Closing access to Emerson Avenue on the north side of 66th Street, beginning July 16 (residents will have access from 63rd Street)
Access to these side streets will remain closed for several weeks while construction activities are ongoing.
Work between Girard and Portland avenues
Additional activities you can expect next week between Girard and Portland avenues:
- Utility installation between Lyndale and Grand avenues
- Concrete sidewalk installation at the Nicollet Avenue roundabout
- Retaining wall construction near Clinton Avenue
Follow up work in 2017 construction area continues through the summer
Activities are still underway in last year’s construction areas in east and west Richfield. Below is what you can expect in the following locations for the next few months.
Xerxes and Humboldt avenues
- Continued final driveway and sidewalk work between Humboldt and Russell avenues, as crews move westward
- Advanced notification for properties with temporary driveway access impacts
- Continued monitoring and maintenance of the temporary restoration in yards and boulevards
- Final asphalt paving (scheduled to occur this fall)
Portland and 16th avenues
- Final restoration in yards and boulevards