Initial sign up
- Sign up for your ride at your court appearance or meeting with your public defender.
- If you are released from Hennepin County Jail, your information is automatically transferred to the ride service.
Once you're signed up, simply reply to initial text message to opt in and authorize future texts.
Confirm your ride
You will get a text within 7 days of your court date or appointment asking if you still need a ride. To accept the ride:
- Reply "Yes"
- Confirm your address
- Reply "Yes" if your address has not changed
- Reply "No" if your address has changed. You must then text a new complete address to the service provider
You must reply to accept a ride each time you need a ride.
- You can ride one way to court.
- If you need a round trip ride, pick up and drop off must be at the same location.
Leading up to your appointment
You will receive reminder texts:
- The day before your appointment
- The day of the appointment when the car is coming
- Rides are set up to arrive at your appointment 15 minutes before your scheduled meeting time.
- When your ride has arrived
- If you aren't at the pick up location, the driver will wait 5 minutes and try to contact you. If you don't respond, the driver will leave.
After your appointment
You can stay as long as you like at the destination, but you must return during regular business hours to get a ride.
When your appointment is over, return to where you were dropped off and text “Ready.” A car will pick you up and take you back to your original pickup location.
People accompanying you during your ride
- Children must be at least 5 years old. Car seats are not provided for children.
- All other companion riders must be at least 18 years old.
Help getting in and out of vehicle
Lyft driver cannot help riders who need physical assistance getting into or out of the vehicle.
Problem with a driver
Call the phone number provided in the text message from the service provider. Hennepin County is not liable for situations that occur during the course of the ride.
To schedule a ride
Contact your public defender.
To cancel a ride
Reply "No" to the confirmation text. However, if you do not receive a response, the ride request will remain active.
To change your address
Send a text message to the service to update your address. You must provide the full address:
- Street address and name
- Zip code
For example: 1234 Johnson Street SW, Apartment 201, Minneapolis, MN 55111.