Skip navigation

Property assessment special programs

Special tax assessment programs include exemptions and credits based on factors like the nature of the property, the organization, or individual status.

COVID-19 response

Our office remains closed for in-person transactions. Resident and employee safety are Hennepin County's primary focus.

Open all

Local option disaster abatement or credit

Property owners whose property has been damaged by 50% or more can apply for a temporary reduction in property tax. The reduction would apply in the year the damage occurred or the following year. Property can be homestead or non-homestead. Property can be accidentally damaged, or intentionally destroyed by vandalism or arson committed by someone other than the owner.

To apply

  • Contact your property assessor’s office to report the damage as soon as possible.
  • Your local assessor will review the damage and send a report to the county assessor’s office.
  • The county will send you an application and might request a physical review.
  • Complete and return the application to Hennepin County. Include your insurance report and claim and other pertinent information.
  • Continue to pay your property taxes normally while your application is being processed.

February 1

Property tax exemption applications are due.

May 1

Green acres and rural preserve applications are due.

Nonprofit community service-oriented organization applications are due.

June 1

Metro ag preserve applications are due to local jurisdiction.

June 30

This is the newly-acquired parcel-ownership and use establishment date.

July 1

Senior citizen property tax deferral applications are due.

August 15

Property tax refund filing deadline — file with the state.

November 3

Open space property tax deferral applications are due.

December 15

Disabled veterans market value exclusion applications are due.

Open all