Emergency housing assistance due to COVID-19

All applications for COVID-19 related housing assistance are now closed.

Additional emergency housing assistance resources are expected in the coming weeks. Details will be posted to this page as they become available. There will be a new application that must be completed, even if you have previously applied for emergency rent assistance.

Open all

Even though there is a temporary hold on evictions as part of Governor Walz's executive order, rent and other housing costs are still due. Your landlord may be able to evict you for not paying rent once restrictions are lifted.

The current application round for emergency housing assistance is now closed, however there may be other Hennepin County programs to help you cover rent and utility bills, as well as other emergency financial costs.

Apply for other Hennepin County cash assistance programs

It is quickest to apply at ApplyMN.

If you cannot apply online:

  • Request a paper application by calling 612-596-1300, or
  • Apply over the phone (adults without minor children in the home should call 612-596-1300; families should call 612-596-1900).

It may take up to 30 days to find out if you’re eligible for this emergency assistance.

Other housing help

For help with options, including assistance making a payment plan with your landlord, finding financial support, or legal help, contact the Tenant Resource Center at 612-767-9737.

Rental property support funding

Applications for emergency funding for owners of affordable rental housing in Hennepin and Dakota counties are now closed. If additional funding becomes available, future application rounds will be announced via our housing and development email list.

If you applied for Hennepin County’s rental property support funding and would like a status update, please contact Niesha Anderson at nanderson@housinglink.org or 612-767-4682 (ext. 121).

Rental property manager W-9 form

In order to provide rent assistance to tenants in your building, Hennepin County needs a completed W-9 form from the property manager.

Once a form is completed, it can be used for all tenants requesting rent assistance in any properties you manage.

Complete a W-9 form now.

Contact EHA@hennepin.us with any questions.

Hennepin County has a total of $21 million available for emergency housing assistance.

We are working with a broad range of service organizations, nonprofits and community partners to distribute this funding to households in need, with special focus on reaching communities most vulnerable to the economic impacts of COVID-19.

The Emergency Housing Assistance map is intended to track the impacts of this funding and is regularly updated with new data on approved applications.

Map graphic image

View the interactive map.

Open all