Services available by phone and online

We continue to monitor and respond to phone calls and emails.

For assistance, please call 612-348-5151 and leave a message or email us at

Absentee voting and other ways to vote

All eligible voters in Hennepin County can vote early by absentee either in person or by mail.

Expand all information

Vote by mail

How to apply

Apply online (available for federal, state and county elections) or print and complete an absentee ballot application (PDF) and return it to us (contact information above) either in person, by mail, email or fax.

When you'll receive your mailed ballot

  • If you apply more than 46 days before the election, your ballot will be mailed to you at least 46 days prior to the election.
  • If you apply within 46 days of the election, your ballot will be mailed to you within a day or two of your application being received.

How to return your voted absentee ballot

Voted ballots must be received on or before election day. Return your voted ballot by mail or in person.

Return by mail

Mail your ballot back in the pre-paid, pre-addressed envelope that was provided with your ballot materials.

  • Ballot must be received on or before election day.
  • If you don't think your ballot will be received in time using regular mail, you may choose to pay for an express delivery service.

Return in person

  • Return your own ballot in person to Hennepin County elections or your city clerk's office by 3 p.m. on election day
  • Someone else may return your voted ballot to Hennepin County elections or your city clerk's office by 3 p.m. on election day
  • Persons delivering ballots may not do so for more than three voters.

Vote in person

You may vote at our office during regular business hours (address, map and hours above) starting 46 days prior to election day for state and county elections. For city and school district elections, you may absentee vote in person at your municipal or school district offices during regular business hours starting 46 days prior to election day.

Absentee voting dates and extended hours

Additional information

Vote by agent

Voters may authorize an agent to pick up and return an absentee ballot for them. This service is available only within the seven days preceding an election.

Each agent is allowed to deliver and return ballots for a maximum of three voters.

You can absentee vote by agent if you are a:

  • Patient in a hospital, residential treatment center, or nursing home
  • Resident of a group home
  • Resident of a battered women's shelter
  • Resident of an assisted living facility
  • Disabled voter
  • Voter who would have difficulty getting to the polls because of incapacitating health reasons

How to vote by agent

1. Choose an agent who:

  • You have a pre-existing relationship with
  • Is at least 18 years old
  • Is not a candidate in the election

2. Complete both the:

3. Have your agent bring the completed forms to either your city clerk's (or in even numbered years to Hennepin County elections) to pick up your ballot.

  • Your agent can pick up a ballot until 2 p.m. on election day.

4. Your agent will be given your ballot to bring to you.

5. Vote your ballot.

6. Have your agent return your voted ballot to the office they picked it up at.

  • Your agent must show an ID with name and signature.
  • Voted ballots must be returned by 3 p.m. on election day at the latest.

Military and overseas voters

Military voters, their dependents, and other U.S. citizens who are overseas may be eligible to vote absentee under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).

Those eligible to be a UOCAVA voter are

  • Members of the uniformed services or merchant marine — Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, or the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and will be absent from your precinct on Election Day due to your service.
  • Spouses and dependents of a member of the uniformed services or merchant marine.
  • Temporarily overseas — if you are a citizen who would be qualified to vote at your polling location in Minnesota if you were not overseas.
  • Indefinitely overseas — if you are a citizen who currently has no plans to return to Minnesota, but you maintained residence in Minnesota for at least 20 days immediately prior to your departure from the United States. Voters who are indefinitely overseas are permitted to vote only for the offices of president, vice president, senator in Congress, and representative in Congress.

How to apply for an absentee ballot


To complete the online absentee ballot application to vote absentee while in the military or overseas, you must:

  • Be eligible to complete the federal postcard application (PDF)
  • Provide an email address
  • Provide your identification number from either your Minnesota driver's license, your Minnesota ID card or the last four (4) digits of your social security number

If you can't provide an email address and one of the identification numbers listed above, you cannot apply online and must submit a paper application.

By mail, email, FAX or in person

You need to complete and submit a federal postcard application (PDF). Your spouse, parent, sibling or child older than 18, may complete and submit the form for you.

Use one of the following methods to complete the form:

Submit your application by mail, FAX or in person to our contact information at the top right of the page. Or you can email it to us at

How to submit your voted ballot

Regardless of how you received the ballot, you must return your voted ballot by mail to the election official the ballot was received from.

Frequently asked questions

Q: When can a military or overseas voter apply?

A: You may submit an federal postcard application (PDF) any time during the year. However, you should submit it as far ahead of the election as possible to avoid delays in receiving your ballot.

Q: Can a military or overseas voter receive a ballot electronically?

A: Yes. You can receive the ballot by mail, fax or email. You will need to indicate on your application how you would like to receive the ballot.

Q: Can a military or overseas voter return a voted ballot electronically?

A: No. Regardless of how you received the ballot, you must return your voted ballot by mail to the election official the ballot was received from.

Q: When should a military or overseas voter expect to get a ballot?

A: Ballots are sent out by election officials at least 45 days prior to the election. For those voters whose applications were received fewer than 45 days before the election, ballots are sent as quickly as possible.

Ballots sent by mail are airmailed to addresses outside the continental U.S. Your ballot will be sent to you by an express mail service if you provide a prepaid envelope to the county auditor’s office. Note: Your voted ballot must arrive back at the county no later than Election Day to be counted.

Q: What if a military or overseas voter doesn’t receive a ballot?

A: If you submit timely absentee ballot applications but never receive your ballot or you are concerned that you will not be able to return your ballot in time to be counted, you may submit the federal write-in absentee ballot (PDF) as an alternative.

A FWAB allows you to write in choices for all offices. For federal offices you may indicate your choice by writing in a candidate name or political party. When voting for state or local offices on the FWAB, you must write the name of the candidate (not just the party) for your vote to be counted.

Q: How long is a military or overseas voter application valid?

A: An application is valid from the time the application is received through the end of that calendar year or through the next regularly scheduled state general election, whichever is later. You may specify a different end date in box 6 of the application (e.g., "General election only"). A ballot will be sent automatically for all elections during that time in which you are eligible to vote. You must reapply each year in which you need a ballot or if your overseas mailing address changes.

Q: Can a military or overseas voter self-certify a ballot?

A: As a UOCAVA voter, Minnesota allows you to self-certify your FPCA, your ballot return envelope, and the FWAB. You can do this by using the same passport number, Minnesota driver's license or state ID number, or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number on all forms throughout the process. If you do not have access to any of these documents, you may attest to the truthfulness of the information under penalty of perjury. For assistance, overseas citizens should contact the U.S. embassy or consulate, and military personnel should contact their Voting Assistance Officer (VAO).

Collapse all information