Veterans' preference applicants

U.S. Flag 

The Minnesota Veterans Preference Act outlines procedures for public sector employers to follow in granting preference to qualified applicants who are veterans.


  • You have separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the armed forces of the United States.
  • You have served on active duty for 181 consecutive days or more, or for the full period ordered to active duty, or have separated by reason of disability incurred while serving on active duty.
  • You must be a United States citizen or resident alien.
  • You are the spouse of a deceased or disabled veteran.

How to apply for veterans' preference status

  1. Submit a copy of the veteran's Form DD214 (Member 4 copy which indicates your Character of Service) or other proof clearly stating the length of active service and type of discharge.
  2. Submit a completed veterans' preference eligibility form (DOC).
  3. Save the completed form on your computer.
  4. Email the completed veterans' preference eligibility form as an attachment to our human resources service center at, or print and mail it to:
    Hennepin County Human Resources
    400 Government Center
    300 South Sixth Street
    Minneapolis, MN 55487-0040

NOTE: Human Resources will keep these documents on file so they only need to be submitted once with your first application to the county.