Food assistance

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps people with low income to buy the food they need for sound nutrition and well-balanced meals. The program issues its benefits electronically on a card that is used to buy food at local stores.

Expand all information

Renew SNAP benefits

Renewal requirements for SNAP and cash assistance programs will resume in August for September renewal.

How to renew

Complete, sign, and return the Combined Application Form (CAF) or 6-month Report, which you will receive in the mail. Send required proof of changes, with case number on each page.

You can get help via phone while Human Service Centers are closed to the public.

Speak to a human services representative

Call 612-596-1300, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

Get help buying food while schools are closed (P-EBT program)

Families with student children

Families with children who received free or reduced-price meals for the 2019-2020 school year, but don’t qualify for SNAP or MFIP benefits, can apply for P-EBT (Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer).

Once you are signed up, you get a P-EBT card that holds $325 per child. In August, another $100 per child will be added to your P-EBT card.

The deadline to apply has extended. Apply by July 31 on the Minnesota P-EBT website.

Families currently receiving SNAP are automatically signed up

Families currently receiving SNAP or MFIP benefits since March 18 do not need to apply. You are automatically receiving the additional $325 per child which is loaded onto your existing EBT cards.

Check your EBT card balance at EBTedge.

Apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Complete the Combined Application Form or call 612-596-1300 to have one mailed to you. You can bring the completed form to the office, fax, or mail it to the address on the form.

You must submit Page 1 of the Combined Application Form, including your signature and the date. The day the application is received by the agency is the first day you may be eligible to receive benefits. You have 30 days to submit the rest of the Combined Application Form.

You must participate in an intake interview, either in-person or by phone.

Apply online

You can use ApplyMN, a secure, online way to apply for healthcare, cash assistance, food support, and child care.

Find a location

You may also visit one of our Human Services offices. No appointment is necessary. Limited drop-in child care is available while you are completing your business in our offices.

Central-Northeast Minneapolis

Health Services Building, 525 Portland Avenue, Minneapolis | Map
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

North Minneapolis

Human Services and Public Health Department – North Minneapolis, 1001 Plymouth Avenue North, Minneapolis | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

South Minneapolis

Human Services and Public health – South Minneapolis, 2215 East Lake Street, Minneapolis | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Northwest suburban

Northwest Family Service Center, 7051 Brooklyn Boulevard, Brooklyn Center | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

South suburban

VEAP Community Service Center, 9600 Aldrich Avenue, Bloomington | Map

Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

West suburban

Wells Fargo building, 1011 - 1st Street South, Hopkins. | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Contact us

Mailing address

P.O. Box 107
Minneapolis, MN 55440

Fax number


Expedited SNAP

You may be eligible to receive benefits within 24 hours of your interview. You will need to provide ID. We can help you prove your identity.

Get help applying

You may have someone else apply for you. To do this, you must write a letter identifying that person as an "authorized representative" who has permission to complete the process on your behalf. If you are in the hospital or homebound, call our office for assistance.

Find an interpreter

Available languages vary by office location. If we do not have the appropriate interpreter onsite, we will phone a language line for assistance. Please make an appointment if you need American Sign Language interpreter services for the hard-of-hearing.

You have the right to appeal

Applicants or clients who do not agree with an action taken on their case have the right to appeal. If you ask, you can continue to receive assistance while waiting for the appeal to be heard. However, if you lose the appeal, you must pay back any assistance received during that time.

You may bring an attorney, advocate, friend, or relative to the appeal hearing. The State of Minnesota will send a written decision to you after the hearing. Contact the Hennepin County Appeals Office at 612-348-2550 or 612-348-8852, or the Minnesota Department of Human Services Appeals office at 651-431-3600.

SNAP Employment and Training for participants

The goal of the SNAP Employment and Training Program (SNAP E&T) is to improve the employability, self-sufficiency and well-being of people receiving SNAP food benefits. SNAP E&T is a voluntary program – available to anyone receiving SNAP – and also offers a way to allow people on SNAP to meet the SNAP work requirements*.

Here is what SNAP E&T could do for you:

  • Earn certifications and training
  • Provide job readiness training (e.g. preparing a resume or job application; interviewing skills; effective job search)
  • Life skills training (e.g. decision-making skills; balancing life and work; budget management; family strengthening skills)
  • Secure resources to get and keep a job (e.g. clothing for job interviews; transportation expenses; uniforms)

Wherever you are on your path to employment, SNAP Employment & Training services are available at numerous locations in Hennepin County depending on your interests and career goals. Map of SNAP E&T providers available in the state.

Consider contacting Colleen Dufek, 612-543-5159 or, who can help you navigate your options!

*Work requirements: Some individuals who are over age 18 and under 50 may be limited to three months of SNAP benefits every three years; unless, they are working or in a work or training program 20 hours per week, such as SNAP E&T; other restrictions may apply. Some individuals can be exempt from this requirement due to a disability, caretaking responsibilities for a child under age six, among other reasons.

SNAP Employment and Training for providers

Collapse all information