Employees can claim up to $2,000 gross per payroll year in reimbursement for fitness-related expenses for themselves or for members of their households. Please note that reimbursement counts toward the year the reimbursement is paid to the employee, not when the purchase was made.
Are there specific deadlines each pay period?
The deadline for submission is 4:30 p.m. on timecard Friday to be reimbursed on the subsequent paycheck.
Can I apply a purchase to last year’s balance?
No, not after the December deadline, even if you did not use the entire $2,000.
Can I apply a purchase made this year to next year’s balance?
Yes. Please submit your claim between January and March of the following year.
For previous year purchases, what is the deadline to submit a reimbursement request?
The deadline is March of the following year to claim all remaining expenses from the previous year. For the exact deadline date, see the deadlines section above.
How long does it take to process a claim?
Please allow five business days for most claims. In March and December it may take longer because of the volume of claims, please plan accordingly.
Can you hold my claim?
No. Most claims will be processed in the order they are received. Please wait to submit your claim if you would like it paid at a specific time.
Documentation and attachments
What needs to be included in the documentation?
Trade time for fitness is a reimbursement program. Therefore:
- Documentation must clearly show the item/services purchased
- It must also clearly demonstrate that the amount claimed was paid
What is allowable documentation?
To be allowable, documentation must clearly list the purchased item/service. Circle the payment on your statement. Allowable documentation includes:
- "Paid" or cash register receipt
- Online purchase confirmation
- Bank/credit card statement (monthly dues only)
- Bill of sale with: seller's name, address, phone number and signature; equipment purchased; payment information and date; and name of purchaser and signature
Insufficient documentation must be accompanied by a receipt clearly listing the item/service purchased:
- Canceled check
- Account statement showing the payment credit
How do I attach the documentation to the claim?
You can only alter claims while their status is submitted or denied
- Click on the pencil to the right of the claim in Apex
- Follow the same steps to attach a file (step 2 under submitting a claim)
Request for reimbursement
Can I round up the amount requested?
No. The requested amount must be less than or equal to the total displayed on the receipt(s).
May I combine the amounts for multiple claims?
Yes, you may submit one claim for multiple receipts. Please enter the date of the oldest purchase.
How many hours do I need to cover my reimbursement?
It depends on your hourly rate.
How do I know what my year-to-date (YTD) balance is (how much of the $2,000 is left)?
Year-to-date balance is based on date of reimbursement, not on the date of submission or purchase. Your year-to-date balance is available in APEX
- On your most recent pay stub
- On your TTF submitted claims page
Do I have to complete the Comment field?
Yes, it helps explain your receipt, particularly if multiple dates/purchases are combined.
What date do I enter for multiple purchases?
Enter the date of the oldest purchase.
How do I edit a previously submitted claim? (You cannot edit a claim once it has been approved or paid.)
If the claim has already been approved, you cannot edit it.
If the claim has not yet been approved, log-in to APEX
- Locate the claim you would like to edit
- Click on the pencil icon next to the claim
- Make your changes and click submit
What if the claim is for my family?
- Select Family member
- Expenditure details: Activity/Equipment: Select the category that corresponds to your purchase
Which leave should I select?
You may select either Sick or PTO. You must have enough leave balance to cover the reimbursement.
Which fitness related category do I select?
Select the category that best describes the item/service claimed. For receipts with multiple items/services, choose the category for the largest reimbursement requested amount.
Expenses and eligibility
Whose expenses are eligible
Employee and members of their household.
What expenses are eligible?
See Fitness-related eligible expenses drawer above.
Employees on leave and special categories
What if I do not have access to APEX? (Must be on an approved leave or an elected official)
Please contact Healthworks
What if I am leaving the county?
Submit any outstanding trade time for fitness program expenses prior to resignation
Program goals and desired outcomes
What are the goals and desired outcomes of the program?
The goals of the program are to:
- Increase physical activity opportunities for employees and members of their household
- Eliminate potential cost barriers in purchasing physical activity equipment and/or opportunities
- Allow the flexibility to use sick or PTO hours in an unconventional manner
The desired outcome is healthier, happier employees and household members.