Leave of absence policy

As a Hennepin County employee, you may be eligible for a leave of absence when you are unable to work due to qualifying circumstances. Leaves of absence are offered in accordance with HR rules, union contracts, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Hennepin County guidelines, and the Minnesota Parental Leave Act.

Leaves approved and administered by the Leave and Accommodation Management Office

  • Family and medical leave (FMLA)
  • Medical leave
  • Childbirth, adoption, or foster care leave (when employees aren't eligible for FMLA)
  • Military leave

Leaves approved by departments

  • Personal and educational leave
  • Special leave without pay (SLWOP)

Paid leave

When you use paid leave (e.g., sick leave, vacation, PTO) or special leave without pay, your benefits will remain in effect as if you are actively working.

Unpaid leave

Upon exhaustion of your paid leave, you may be eligible to continue your benefits through our third party administrator, 121 Benefits. The premium amount will be determined by the type of unpaid leave. See information about the specific leave program for detailed information.

Income replacement

If you have exhausted your paid leave or have chosen to keep a portion of it, you may have options for replacing your income.

Expand all information

Leave and Accommodation Management Office

The Leave and Accommodation Management (LAM) Office was created to foster greater efficiency in managing employee leaves.

The LAM Office

  • Administers FMLA, leaves of absence, military leave, and ADA
  • Assists employees with income replacement options
  • Assists departments to perform legal and necessary medical evaluations
  • Assists employees with benefits continuation coverage
  • Assists employees with stay at work / return to work
Collapse all information