Discuss your leave of absence with your supervisor
- How you will prepare for your leave of absence and when it will start?
- How would you like your timesheet coded?
- What is your plan to return to work?
Request a leave of absence at least 30 days in advance
- Request your leave at least 30 days before a due date or child placement date.
- Use an estimated date if you’re unsure what start date to use.
- Follow your department policies and procedures.
Contact Kathleen Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
All other employees
- Complete the leave of absence request form (use Internet Explorer). This will alert your supervisor of your leave request.
- You must be on the county network. If you can’t access the network, contact your supervisor to complete the request for you.
Plan for your income during your leave of absence
Consider how you want to use your sick leave, vacation, PTO, comp time, holiday and banked special leave without pay.
Check your leave balances.
Plan for how to use paid parental leave. The parent that gives birth must use paid parental leave within the 12-week leave of absence. Birth parents (non-carrying), spouses, and adoptive parents must use it within one year of the birth or adoption.
Parent that gives birth filing for short-term disability payments: before getting payments, you’ll have a waiting period of 7, 14, 30, or 45 days (whichever you chose when you signed up for short-term disability). You can cover the waiting period with other paid leave such as vacation, sick time, or PTO.
If you want to use special leave without pay, discuss it with your supervisor.
Checklist for before and after the birth (PDF)
Lactation support information
View the county's webpage on lactation support.
Consider the Healthy Mom and Baby program
Pregnant employees who have county health insurance can take part. Learn more about PreferredOne's Healthy Mom and Baby program (PDF).
Cancel or suspend your MetroPass or parking contract
Contact the HR leave and accommodation management office at HR.LAM.Office@hennepin.us.