Discuss your leave of absence with your supervisor
- How you will prepare for your leave of absence and when it will start
- How you’d like your timesheet coded
- Your plan to return to work
Request a leave of absence at least 30 days in advance
- Request your leave at least 30 days before a due date or child placement date
- Use an estimated date if you’re unsure what start date to use
- Follow your department policies and procedures
Contact Kathleen Smith at email@example.com
All other employees
- Complete the leave of absence request form (use Internet Explorer). This will alert your supervisor of your leave request.
- You must be on the county network. If you can’t access the network, contact your supervisor to complete the request for you.
Plan for your income during your leave of absence
- Consider how you want to use your sick leave, vacation, PTO, comp time, holiday and banked special leave without pay
- Check your leave balances
- Plan for how to use paid parental leave. The parent that gives birth must use paid parental leave within the 12-week leave of absence. Birth parents (non-carrying), spouses, and adoptive parents must use it within one year of the birth or adoption.
- Parent that gives birth filing for short-term disability payments: before getting payments, you’ll have a waiting period of 7, 14, 30, or 45 days (whichever you chose when you signed up for short-term disability). You can cover the waiting period with other paid leave such as vacation, sick time, or PTO.
- If you want to use special leave without pay, discuss it with your supervisor
Personalized leave plan for employees
LeaveLogic is a confidential, self-service tool to plan your leave.
You can learn about all the benefits available to you. You can customize your plan to suit your unique life event. You can plan your leave before disclosing it to your supervisor or human resources. You control when others see your plan.
You can also navigate your benefits while on leave.
Visit LeaveLogic to get started.
Checklist for before and after the birth (PDF)
Consider the Healthy Mom and Baby program
Pregnant employees who have county health insurance can take part. Learn more about PreferredOne's Healthy Mom and Baby program.
Cancel or suspend your MetroPass or parking contract
- Cancel or suspend MetroPass
- To cancel or suspend your parking contract, check with your parking provider
Contact the HR leave and accommodation management office at HR.LAM.Office@hennepin.us or 612-348-4082.