Signing up for short-term disability coverage
To receive short-term disability payments, you must sign up for the county's short-term disability coverage. Read more about the county's short-term disability insurance.
To see if you already have short-term disability coverage, check your benefits summary in APEX.
Steps to take before you can receive payments
- You must file a claim and have it approved. Short-term disability claim instructions (PDF)
- You must record your last day of paid time in APEX
- You have a waiting period (a number of days you choose from when you signed up)
- If you have sick leave, you must use up your sick leave
- Other paid leave can total no more than 80 hours (vacation, PTO, holiday, comp time, and banked special leave without pay). You must use up any hours over 80 before you can receive short-term disability payments. Some sheriff's office union contracts may not allow you to save 80 hours.
Short-term disability payments come from The Standard insurance company, not the county.
Impact on taxes for receiving short-term disability
You must claim short-term disability payments on your taxes.
Contact the HR leave and accommodation management office at email@example.com, or 612-348-4082.