Project nearing completion
For many travelling through the area, Douglas Drive operates like a fully reconstructed road. The road is open; paths are walkable and rideable; and lighting and signals are operating. However, crews have been on site for the past few months working toward completing many of the final tasks.
During the next month, crews should be drawing the project to a close with these final activities:
• Landscaping and streetscaping (completed by the City of Golden Valley)
• Installing the remaining pedestrian push buttons at the Frontage Road and Highway 55 intersections
• Completing minor underground utility work on Highway 55
• Pouring concrete curbs and medians work on Highway 55
Construction activities to impact traffic on Highway 55 starting week of May 28
With the finishing work, we will need to close some lanes on Highway 55 at the Douglas Drive intersection starting later in the week
The closures include:
- One lane of traffic approaching the intersections from both directions
- Left turn lane from westbound Highway 55 to the Olson Highway Service Road
- One of the eastbound left turn lanes onto Douglas Drive
Westbound traffic to the Olson Highway Service Road south of Highway 55 will be detoured using Glenwood Avenue (County Road 40).
Signage will help guide people driving through the area.
Weather permitting, we expect to complete the work and reopen all lanes in one week.
Expect minor traffic impacts
These final tasks should not require full closures. However, people driving, walking and biking through the area should expect some minor traffic impacts at times. The final activities are expected to be completed by summer.
CenterPoint Energy's Belt Line project
CenterPoint Energy crews will be active near Douglas Drive replacing existing natural gas pipelines as part of their Belt Line utility project. More information is available on their project website.
Douglas Drive improvements
This corridor is being reconstructed to improve connectivity, function, safety and aesthetics. The result will create a safer and more efficient road for people driving, biking and walking.
Newly reconstructed Douglas Drive with paved trails, sidewalks and widened curbs, as well as redesigned traffic lanes with shared turn lanes
New culvert on Douglas Drive located north of the Golden Valley Road roundabout
New sidewalks with a boulevard buffer, and extended curbs designed as a dedicated bike lane