November 2017 update
Major construction along 66th Street is complete for the 2017 season and the road is now open to all traffic in both east and west Richfield. During 2017, crews were able to complete construction on the west end between Xerxes and Girard avenues and on the east end between Columbus and 16th avenues. Crews were also able to:
- Replace underlying soil with new soil to extend the lifespan of the road
- Update the aging underground water main, storm and sanitary sewers to reduce needs to repair and replace pipes in the near future
- Update curbs and gutters to address deteriorating pavement and drainage concerns
- Move overheard utilities underground (work will be completed in winter)
The project team also worked to connect with businesses and community members along the corridor. Project team staff held regular on-site sidewalk meetings and conducted frequent door-to-door business visits to provide project updates, answer questions and discuss individual needs. Sidewalk meetings and regular business visits will continue during the 2018 construction season.
In most of the completed areas, 66th Street users will now be able to enjoy:
- New pavement providing a smoother ride when traveling in a vehicle
- New sidewalks and trails with a boulevard buffer between the road
- New paths to use when bicycling
- New turn lanes in key areas
66th Street New Features Map (PDF)
Starting the week of January 15, crews from Xcel Energy will be upgrading their underground facilities between Rae Drive/Lakeshore Drive and Girard Avenue. Please anticipate intermittent short-term lane closures as work continues through early April.
As work progresses eastwards, Lynwood Boulevard and Emerson Avenue will be restricted to right turns only. Impacted residents will receive notifications prior to the work.
A few other things will be occurring along 66th Street over the winter:
- Crews from Xcel Energy will be removing the power poles on the north side of 66th Street between Washburn Avenue and I-35W and between 11th and 16th avenues.
- Crews will be using intermittent short-term lane closures during winter work.
- Even though this road remains under construction into 2018, county snow and ice removal teams will maintain it through the construction area throughout the winter.
This schedule is subject to change.
Major street reconstruction between:
- Xerxes and Humboldt avenues
- Oakland and 16th avenues
- Major street reconstruction between Humboldt and 5th avenues
- Restoration and completion of some sidewalks in the 2018 work areas
- Final restoration and completion of some sidewalks in the 2018 work areas