Week of August 13 update
The second year of 66th Street (County Road 53) reconstruction is underway. Major work this year will occur between Humboldt and Portland avenues.
Below is what you can expect along 66th Street these next few weeks:
66th Street full closure Tuesday
Beginning Tuesday, August 14, 66th Street (County Road 53) will be closed to people driving motor vehicles and riding bicycles between Woodlake Drive and Lyndale Avenue.
This closure is for the replacement of underground utilities. Work is anticipated to be completed during daytime hours and the street reopened at 7 p.m. on Friday, August 17, weather permitting.
There will be access to businesses during the closure by using alternate routes such as Lyndale Avenue or 65th Street.
Changing pedestrian detours in the area
Crews will continue pouring the concrete sidewalks at the southeast and southwest areas of the Lyndale Avenue roundabout during the next two weeks.
Be aware the pedestrian detour route will change at times during this phase of work. Pay attention and follow the signed route at all times, or call 612-444-3186 if you have questions or need help navigating around the area.
I-35W ramps open this week
All ramps at the I-35W and 66th Street interchange will reopen at the end of the day on Wednesday, August 15.
Please continue to use the below detours until the ramps reopen:
- Penn Avenue (County Road 32) to the Highway 62 and I-35W interchange
- Lake Shore Drive to Lyndale Avenue to the I-494 and I-35W interchange
- The eastbound and westbound bus stops underneath I-35W are closed. Please use the alternate stops at Humboldt Avenue or Lynwood Boulevard.
- In addition, the 535 bus traveling northbound and southbound on I-35W are currently not dropping off or picking up any Metro Transit riders at 66th Street during the closure. Normal service is expected to resume on Thursday, August 16.
- If you have additional questions regarding other bus options, please contact Metro Transit at 612-373-3333.
Side street closures
- Girard Avenue on the south side of 66th Street will remain closed for the next several weeks. Residents will have access from 67th Street.
Work between Girard and Portland avenues
Additional activities you can expect next week between Girard and Portland avenues include:
- Utility replacement between Emerson and Grand avenues
- Roadway removals between Emerson and Lyndale avenues
- Curbs, gutters and pavement work between Pleasant and Nicollet avenues; traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction during the paving work - expect short-term delays
- Concrete sidewalk installation at the Nicollet Avenue roundabout
- Continuing sidewalk installation on the south side of 66th Street between Stevens and 5th avenues
Follow up work in 2017 construction area continues through the summer
Activities are still underway in last year’s construction areas in east and west Richfield. Below is what you can expect in the following locations for the next few months.
Crews will be paving Penn Avenue between 66th and 67th streets for one day early next week. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction during the paving work. Please drive slowly and expect short-term delays.
Xerxes and Humboldt avenues
- Final asphalt paving scheduled to occur Monday, August 13, and Tuesday, August 14; traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction during the paving work; please drive slowly and expect short-term delays
- Wrapping up final driveway and sidewalk work (properties with driveway access impacts will be notified in advance)
- Final restoration and site clean-up through mid-August
- Final striping the week of August 20
Portland and 16th avenues
- Final restoration and site clean-up through late August