Intersection improvement project underway
On Tuesday, May 26, crews began the Shoreline Drive (County Road 15) and Shadywood Road (County Road 19) intersection improvement project in Orono.
For the next three months, you will see crews working at the intersection. They will be working in stages to allow for through traffic and maintain access.
First construction stage beginning
Each of the six construction stages is scheduled to take approximately two weeks to complete, weather permitting.
For the first stage, crews will work at the southeast corner of the intersection. Work in this area will include:
- removing existing pavement
- replacing underground utility lines
- rebuilding the deteriorating curbs and gutters
- replacing the pavement substructure and repaving
- constructing new sidewalks and curb ramps
Expect changes as you travel through the area
We will keep the intersection and all access to local business open during construction. There will be at least one lane in each direction and sidewalks on one side open.
However, people should expect roadway turning restrictions, lane configuration and access changes and sidewalk closures.
First stage turning restrictions
People driving will see two turning restrictions at the intersection during the first stage:
- no left turn from westbound Shoreline Drive to southbound Shadywood Road
- no right turn from northbound Shadywood Road to eastbound Shoreline Drive
Map of the first construction stage area with traffic configurations and turning restrictions. For a larger view of the map, click here.
The posted detours in the area will use the routes described below and shown on the map.
From westbound Shoreline Drive to southbound Shadywood Road:
- turn right onto North Shore Drive (County Road 51) prior to approaching the intersection of Shoreline Drive and Shadywood Road
- turn left onto Shadywood Road
From northbound Shadywood Road to eastbound Shoreline Drive:
- continue north on Shadywood Road
- turn right onto North Shore Drive
- turn onto Shoreline Drive
Map of the detour route for people heading from westbound Shoreline Drive to southbound Shadywood Road, and from northbound Shadywood Road to eastbound Shoreline Drive. For a larger view of the map, click here.