Short-term eastbound closure
Starting at 7 p.m. on Thursday, September 8, the City of Minneapolis will close eastbound Washington Avenue between Hennepin Avenue and Marquette Avenue South to complete water and utility work associated with the Nicollet Mall project. This closure will last through the weekend, with the road reopening Monday, September 12, at 5 a.m.
The detour follows Hennepin Avenue to Fourth Street, and then Marquette Avenue back to Washington Avenue.
For questions about this closure, please contact Sarah McKenzie with the City of Minneapolis at 612-673-2786 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fifth Avenue intersection closure
Starting Tuesday, September 13, Fifth Avenue South will be closed to all northbound and southbound traffic at Washington Avenue. Because of the depth, location and coordination of below ground utility work that needs to occur, a temporary full closure of the northern half of the intersection is necessary. This work is expected to last three to five weeks.
- The detour for motorists and bicyclists traveling northbound follows Washington Avenue, Portland Avenue and Second Street South.
- The southbound detour follows Second Street to Portland Avenue.
- Fifth Avenue between Washington Avenue and Second Street will be local access only.
- Traffic traveling eastbound on Washington Avenue will not be affected.
- Temporary crosswalks will be installed to direct pedestrians around the active work site and the crosswalk on the east side of the intersection will remain open.
Second Avenue South lane reduction
Once work at the Marquette Avenue South intersection is complete, work will begin on the intersection at Second Avenue South and Washington Avenue. The intersection will be reduced to one lane in each direction at Washington Avenue. This is to allow crews to work in the northwest quadrant of the intersection for two weeks. They will then flip over to the northeast quadrant for another two weeks.
- One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained at all times.
- Northbound lanes south of Washington Avenue will continue to be bus only.
- Pedestrians will be directed to the crosswalk on the opposite side of the intersection from the active work zone.
Marquette Avenue lane switch
Starting the week of September 12, all traffic on Marquette Avenue South will be diverted to the northbound side of the intersection at Washington Avenue, as crews move work to the other side of the intersection. There will be no changes to the current detour route, other than pedestrian crossings.
- Motorists traveling northbound on Marquette should continue to follow the marked detour along Washington Avenue, Third Avenue South and First Street.
- Pedestrians should now use the crosswalk on the east side of the intersection.
- Southbound lanes south of Washington Avenue will continue to be bus only.
This work is expected to last about two weeks. Then, work at this intersection will be finished for the season and all lanes will reopen in both directions.
Washington Avenue detour
Starting early morning on Monday, August 15, the detour of westbound lanes of Washington Avenue (County Road 152) in downtown Minneapolis will begin at Portland Avenue. The detour currently begins at Second Avenue South.
This detour for motorists and bicyclists will follow Portland Avenue, Third Street South, Hennepin Avenue and then return to Washington Avenue. There is no detour for pedestrians or eastbound Washington Avenue.
In addition, eastbound traffic will be reduced to two lanes through the work area.