Hennepin County, in partnership with the Cities of Hopkins and Minnetonka, is reconstructing County Road 61 (Shady Oak Road) from County Road 3 (Excelsior Boulevard) to approximately 1500 feet north of Highway 7. The project will add a travel lane in each direction, construction a sidewalk and a trail, realign the intersection with Highway 7, install a permanent traffic signal at Mainstreet, and address flooding issues along the corridor.
County Road 61 (Shady Oak Road)
Complete road reconstruction, with utility improvements, will be from CSAH 3 (Excelsior Boulevard) to 1000 feet north of Trunk Highway 7. The utility improvements include water and sewer and private utility reconstructions, such as electric and gas.
The following intersections will be realigned with this project:
- Trunk Highway 7
- North Frontage Road
- 2nd Street North/Lake Street Extension (the 2nd Street North leg only)
The intersection at West Park Road will be closed and a cul-de-sac area added at Wyndham Hill Drive, and the intersection at Mainstreet will receive a new signal.
Trunk Highway 7
The intersection at CSAH 61 (Shady Oak Road) will be realigned with this project. The concrete medians will be upgraded and a trail connection made to the 21st Avenue North neighborhood on the south side of the highway.
City street reconstruction
This project includes city improvements, including sewer and water replacement, for the following city streets:
- 21st Avenue North from Mainstreet to 1st Street North
- West Park Road from 2nd Street North to Wyndham Hill Drive
- The alleyway behind the VFW Hall from Bradford Road to the north
November 20, 2014
This weekend the contractor will be striping the new lanes. Here is what to expect over the upcoming 4-5 days as part of the process for switching traffic onto the new lanes for the duration of the winter and into the spring:
- The contractor will be striping the new lanes on Saturday, November 22, 2014. They will be creating one lane for each direction on the new pavement. All traffic will be switched into the new pavement by the end of the day.
- The signal at Mainstreet will be turned off and the intersection will become an all way stop control until Monday, November 24, 2014. This is to relocate the signal heads and reset the detection cameras to align with the new lanes. Mainstreet will have full access with pedestrian facilities on the northern leg of Shady Oak Road.
- Both ends of Oak Drive Lane will be closed from Saturday, November 20, 2014 through Tuesday, November 25, 2014. The contractor will be building an access at the northern end, but this cannot be completed until after the lane switch. The southern end of Oak Drive Lane will be closed throughout winter due to the elevation difference.
- The businesses in the strip mall at the southern Oak Drive Lane will have a new access directly onto Shady Oak Road and the temporary driveway off Oak Drive Lane will be closed.
- There will be full access, with side street stop control, at 2nd Street/Lake Street Extension.
The contractor will be continuing sewer and water main work on the North Service Drive, then plans to move the crew to the southern end of Oak Drive Lane to complete storm sewer there. Weather dependent, the contractor plans to pave the VFW parking lot, North Service Drive and the ramp created for the north end of Oak Drive Lane. This will complete most of the work for this construction season.