Restoration work continues on the Franklin Avenue Bridge. Crews are working to restore the bridge to the original 1923 production.
The new bridge deck will incorporate safe, modern, multimodal features such as separated on-road bike lanes, walkways, overlook nooks, and architectural lighting.
During fall of 2016 and spring of 2017, the contractor will complete bridge restoration activities, along with final tasks and clean-up.
The new concept provides a non motorized crossing on the west end of the bridge. Currently no crossing exists at this end. This is intended to improve safety for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. See the document below for layout for the west end of the bridge.
Bridge plan west end (PDF)
The 2015 season will include below deck concrete rehabilitation. This work will require the installation of a working platform under the bridge. To attach this platform, workers will need to close the outer lanes of the bridge so that construction vehicles can have access to the underdeck and rehabilitation.
In 2015 the contractor will manufacture "precast" bridge deck panels that will be placed during the 2016 bridge closure. These panels will be made at a site, adjacent to the river, just south of the Washington Avenue Bridge. This will allow use of river transportation to float these panels down the river, and these segments will then be hoisted by water borne cranes into their final positions.
During the 2016 construction season, the bridge will be closed for complete deck removal and replacement. A marked detour will be provided during this closure. A detailed closure timeline will be provided before the actual closure.
Signed detours will be provided for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists during the bridge deck replacement.
1889 remnant piers removed
Tuesday, June 23, 2015, Hennepin County Commissioner McLaughlin, Minneapolis Park Board Commissioner Vreeland, and Minnesota State Representative Kahn joined project staff for a river tour of the remnant piers.
During the tour, the elected officials accepted the concept of salvaging the 1889 remnant pier blocks and re-locating to the "Bohemian Flats" area within Minneapolis Park Board property on the western bank of the river. The salvaging process of the pier blocks was completed on June 24, 2015.