Ordination or ministerial credentials

For an ordained person (both Minnesota residents and non-residents) to be authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in Minnesota, the person must be at least 21 years old and must file their "credentials of license or ordination" with a Minnesota county. Once this is done, marriages may be performed anywhere in the State of Minnesota.

Expand all information

How to file

What you need

A copy of your certificate of ordination, which will be verified and copied. If you don't have your certificate, one of the following may be substituted:

  • A letter from the main church body (such as the Archdiocese or Synod) with the signature of one official, OR
  • A letter from the church, which must:
    • Be on church letterhead (if not, the officials' signatures must be notarized)
    • State that the church authorizes you to solemnize marriages
    • Be signed by three other officials of the church

How to file

Filing may be done in person or by mail.

In person

File at any Hennepin County Service Center location. Make an appointment for a shorter wait time.

Bring the items listed above, the fee and proper ID (such as a driver's license or passport) verifying your name on the certificate of ordination or letter.

By mail

Mail the items listed above, the fee and a notarized Certificate of filing (PDF) to:

Director of Licensing – Vital Records
Hennepin County Government Center
300 S 6th St. A-025
Minneapolis, MN 55487-0026


Additional information

Collapse all information