Check your registration status
You will need to enter your name, birth date, and address.
Register to vote
To register online, you must:
- Meet eligibility guidelines to register and vote in Minnesota
- Provide an email address
- Provide an identification number from either your Minnesota driver's license, you Minnesota ID card or the last four (4) digits of your Social Security number
If you can't provide an email address and one of the identification numbers listed above, you cannot register online.
Online voter registration application
In person or by mail
If you meet eligibility guidelines to vote, you can submit a completed voter registration application (PDF) to Hennepin County Elections by mail or in person. You may also be able to register at your polling place on election day if you bring the approved identification with you.
Frequently asked questions
- Q: Am I eligible to vote?
- A: See the Minnesota Secretary of State’s site for details.
- Q: When do I need to update my voter registration?
- A: If you are currently registered to vote, you do not need to register again unless you have moved to a different address, moved to a new apartment or condo, changed your name, or not voted at least once within the last four years.
- Q: Can I register to vote with my post office or mail center box address?
- A: No. By law, you may only vote in the precinct where you live or reside. When you fill out your registration application, you must provide the address of your residence. In general, your residence is where:
- your home is
- you usually sleep
- you intend to return after you've been temporarily away
- you live with your family, if you have one
- Q: What happens to my voter registration if I change my address with the U.S. Postal Service?
- A: If you move and submit a permanent forwarding order to the U.S. Postal Service, your voter registration may be automatically updated to your new address for you. You will receive a postcard with your new address and new voting location. When you receive this card, please verify the residential address is correct. If the information is not correct, please follow the instructions on the post card.
- Q: What do I need to know if I am conducting a voter registration drive?
- A: First, make sure the voters are completing the registration applications correctly. The voter must:
- Answer "Yes" to the first two questions at the top of the form – “Are you a U.S. citizen?” and “Will you be at least 18 on or before the next election?” Do not fill out the questions yourself unless the voter requests assistance.
- Provide a Minnesota driver’s license or Minnesota ID card number if her or she has one. Otherwise,make sure the voter provides the last four digits of his or her Social Security number. If the voter has none of these, he or she must check the box for “I do not have a Minnesota-issued driver’s license, a MN-issued ID card, or a Social Security number.”
- Include his or her name, address, date of birth, and signature on the form.
A: Second, make sure to return all the completed voter registration applications on time. Minnesota law requires you to submit the completed applications within 10 days after they are dated by the voters. Return them to our office in the Hennepin County Government Center, any county service center, any city hall in Hennepin County, or the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. If you mail the applications, please include a copy of your business card. If a voter chooses to take an application and mail it in later, please have the voter phone our office at 612-348-5151 for more details.