File for office

Filing for office is how you get your name on a ballot. Requirements vary depending on: the office you are running for, whether the office is partisan or non-partisan, and whether you are running as a member of a major political party.

When you file, you will receive a packet with standard candidate filing information and possibly information particular to your jurisdiction and office as well.

Expand all information

Offices on the 2017 ballot

Special election - March 7, 2017

City of Richfield - Mayor, 2 year term

City and school general election - November 7, 2017

City offices

Bloomington - Council Member at Large, Council Member Districts III and IV *
Golden Valley – 2 Council Members
Hopkins – 2 Council Members
Independence – 2 Council Members
Minneapolis – Mayor, Council Member Wards  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13, 2 Board of Estimate and Taxation, 3 Park and Recreation Commissioners at Large, Park and Recreation Commissioners Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
Minnetonka – Mayor, Council Member at Large Seat A and Seat B *
St Anthony– 2 Council Members
St Louis Park – Council Member Wards 1, 2, 3 and 4 * 

School district offices

ISD 11 Anoka Hennepin – School Board Member District 3
ISD 270 Hopkins – 3 School Board Members
ISD 271 Bloomington – 4 School Board Members
ISD 272 Eden Prairie – 3 School Board Members
ISD 273 Edina– 4 School Board Members at Large
ISD 276 Minnetonka – 3 School Board Members
ISD 277 Westonka – 3 School Board Members
ISD 278 Orono – 3 School Board Members
ISD 280 Richfield – 3 School Board Members
ISD 282 St Anthony – 3 School Board Members
ISD 283 St Louis Park – 3 School Board Members
ISD 284 Wayzata – 3 School Board Members
ISD 286 Brooklyn Center – 3 School Board Members
ISD 877 Buffalo Hanover Montrose – 3 School Board Members

* Denotes potential primary

Affidavit of candidacy and nominating petitions

Complete the affidavit of candidacy

In order to file for office, you need to fill out an affidavit of candidacy (PDF). See the Where to file section of this page to learn where to file the affidavit.

Complete a nominating petition

If you are running as a member of a major political party (Democratic-Farmer-Labor, or Republican) or for a nonpartisan office, you do not need to file a nominating petition.

If you are running for a partisan office but not as a member of a major political party, then you must file a nominating petition (PDF) with the required number of signatures. The number of signatures you need depends on what office you are running for. For county or legislative offices, you need 500 signatures. The signatures must be of eligible voters who live in the district, and you must obtain the signatures during the filing period.

Collapse all information