This is a basic guideline for accessing services provided by Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department.
Program Area: Nursing Home Pre-Admission Screening
Contact Number: 612-348-8452, Fax 612-348-7877
Program Summary: Individuals entering a certified nursing facility must receive pre-admission screening (PAS) prior to admission to determine nursing home level of care and screen for mental illness or mental retardation to determine specialized service needs.
- All applicants to Medicaid-certified nursing facilities including admission from hospitals, certified boarding care facilities and hospital swing beds, regardless of income, assets, or payment source
- Hennepin County does not complete pre-admission screening for people enrolled in Minnesota Disability Health Options (MnDHO) or Minnesota Senior Health Options (MSHO). Contact their care coordinator.
- Nursing home pre-admission screening for level of care needed
- Screening for mental illness or mental retardation with subsequent referrals to other services or professionals as indicated by screening. Requires additional time so this should be considered when referring.
Conditions of eligibility:
- Must be completed prior to admission to a Medicaid-certified nursing facility regardless of income, assets, or funding source
- MSHO/MnDHO enrollees contact their care coordinator
- Pre-Admission screening required for all admissions, inc. from hospitals, client's own home, assisted living, adult foster care, shelters
- Exemptions to Pre-Admission Screening: inter-facility transfers (from one certified nursing facility to another)
How to obtain services:
For information or forms, call 612-348-8452. The health care provider should fax the referral forms to 612-348-7877. Information from provider will be taken by support staff, then sent for professional review for approval/denial.
6125 Shingle Creek Parkway, Suite 400
Mail Code N711
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
What to expect:
In most situations, contact is between health care providers (doctor, clinic, hospital) and Hennepin County. The client/family communicates with these parties who typically facilitate the referral for pre-admission screening and nursing home admission.
Other pertinent information:
In most cases screening is completed by telephone; face-to-face screening must occur for people under age 21 regardless of projected length of stay or admission source.
Last Update: 11/17/09