View current volunteer openings.
Apply for this opportunity.
Browse Hennepin County's volunteer opportunities.
Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation
Kind of work volunteers do
- Welcome parents and visitors to the facility.
- Plan and participate in special projects, initiatives, and events.
- Partner with staff to develop new programming in the facility's living units.
- Develop and implement leisure activities for juveniles (art, drawing, music, yoga, etc.)
- Collaborate with juvenile correctional staff to monitor residents in living units.
- Assist the Court Outreach Worker with locating youth for court.
Juvenile Detention Center
21 years of age and older
Types of opportunities
Ongoing volunteering for a minimum of 250 hours per year
- Evenings and weekends
- Limited daytime hours (greeter, clerical support)
- Volunteering a minimum of two partial days per week
Application process for becoming a volunteer
- Fill out an online volunteer application form.
- Successfully pass a reference check.
- Participate in an exploratory interview.
- Interview with perspective supervisory staff.
- Successfully pass a fingerprinting background check.
- Attendance at mandatory volunteer orientation session.
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Work with a diverse client population
- Excellent training opportunities
- The facility is located on Metro Transit Light Rail and bus routes.