Property tax reduction for property damage
Property owners whose property has been damaged by 50% or more can apply for a temporary reduction in property tax. The reduction would apply in the year the damage occurred or the following year. Property can be homestead or non-homestead. Property can be accidentally damaged, or intentionally destroyed by vandalism or arson committed by someone other than the owner.
- Contact your property assessor’s office to report the damage as soon as possible
- Your local assessor will review the damage and send a report to the county assessor’s office
- The county will send you an application and might request a physical review
- Complete and return the application to Hennepin County. Include your insurance report and claim and other pertinent information.
- Continue to pay your property taxes normally while your application is being processed
Find full property assessment information.