Birth Certificate Application (PDF 65kb)
Death Certificate Application (PDF 99kb)
How to apply in person
- Bring your completed application to any Hennepin County Service Center. For a shorter wait time make an appointment.
- The application will be notarized and processed.
- Your uncertified copy can usually be provided to you at the time of application. In some cases, due to limited data availability, requests can't be processed when you apply and the copy will be mailed to you.
- In person payment options.
How to apply by mail
- Send your completed and signed application, along with check or money order to:
Hennepin County Government Center
300 South 6th St, Suite A025
Minneapolis, MN 55487-0026
- Mail orders are generally processed within 7-10 business days of receipt.
- For processing more quickly than 7 - 10 business days:
- add a $20 fee per record to your payment,
- write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of your mailing envelope and
- include either a self-addressed stamped #10 business envelope OR an additional $1.50 handling fee.
Note: If you are making changes to the birth record with a parent notice (within 45 days of birth) we are required to hold your application for two business days.
How to apply by FAX
- FAX this completed cover sheet, along with your completed and signed application to the number on the cover sheet.
- Payment with a credit card (American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®) is required for FAX orders.
- Payments on faxed orders are processed through VitalChek Network, Inc®, a third party vendor, and incur an additional $7 VitalChek fee per order.
- FAX orders are generally processed within 7-10 business days of receipt.
- For processing more quickly than 7 - 10 business days, add a $20 per record fee to your payment.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Hennepin County Vital Records at (612) 348-8240.