A marriage license purchased in Minnesota only allows you to be married in Minnesota and must be applied for at least FIVE (5) days before your wedding date. Your marriage license is valid for six months.
How to apply
Use an option below to begin your application process.
- Online: Start your online application, print and bring the receipt to any Service Center to complete the application process and receive your license.
- Handwritten: Complete, (except for signatures), print and bring the marriage license application (PDF 92kb) to any Service Center to complete the application process and receive your license.
- Walk-in: Feel free to stop in or make an appointment at any Service Center. You will fill out your application by hand, complete the application process and receive your license.
What to bring
- EITHER the printed receipt from your online marriage application process, OR your license application (PDF 92kb)
- BOTH the bride and groom, OR if one of you can't come in, the supplemental form for party not appearing (PDF 39kb)
- Signature of person not appearing must be notarized on BOTH forms
- Identification such as a driver's license or state ID
- Neither of you have to be residents of Minnesota
- If your divorce was finalized in the last 30 days - bring a certified copy of the divorce decree
- If one or both of you has a felony conviction, you must provide proof of service papers (MS 259.13)
- A packet of information will be given to you with your license.
- A marriage must be witnessed by two adults (16 or older)
- Neither of you is required to be a Minnesota resident
- You generally cannot get married on the same day you apply, however if there is an emergency, complete and bring the five-day waiver form (PDF 27kb) with you
- Your license may be used for six months anywhere in Minnesota
- Minnesota Marriage License Application Statute 517.08
- Get a copy of a marriage license/record
- An official who marries a couple should file the marriage license with us within five days of the ceremony
- Notary services are available at all Service Centers