Test your home for radon gas.
In Minnesota, two out of five homes have high radon levels. This a problem, considering high radon levels can cause lung cancer, according to the Minnesota Department of Health.
Radon gas can seep into your home from a number of places, like cracks in the foundation and basement.
You can't see, smell or taste radon. The only way to know if your home has elevated radon levels is to test your home using a radon kit. Purchase a radon kit to in a hardware store, discount store or online.
Keep the humidity in your home to less than 50 percent.
Mold is usually found in areas of high humidity, like bathrooms. It can grow on walls, clothes, appliances or hidden places, like behind walls.
Tips for reducing mold/moisture:
- Use a dehumidifier.
- Install and use exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Fix leaks right away.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clear of leaves and clogs.
Rodents may trigger asthma attacks, and can chew on electrical wires and cause fires. Bites of rodents, fleas and ticks and certain spiders can make your family ill.
Tips for controlling pests:
- Clean up after cooking and eating, and store food in tightly-sealed containers.
- Seal cracks around exterior doors, windows, pipes, etc.
- Do not let trash collect inside and keep outdoor trash covered with a lid.
- Use closed baits, traps or gels as a first line of defense against pets.
These tips are provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Find more information about home health hazards at hud.gov/healthyhomes. Also download the Healthy Homes Basics app via the Apple iTunes or Google Play.