Who is tested?
- Anyone who is offered a position in a safety-sensitive job class is required to take and pass a drug and alcohol test. See the list of safety-sensitive job classes further down this page.
- If you are offered a position, you will be informed by the interviewing supervisor that you must schedule a drug test within 24 hours.
- Hennepin County employees moving from a non-safety-sensitive job class to a safety-sensitive job class must take this test as well.
- If you are hired in a position where you must carry a commercial driver's license (CDL), you are covered by federal Department of Transportation regulations for drivers with CDLs.
- If you are eligible for reinstatement, or are being transferred from another government agency or jurisdiction, you will be required to take and pass a drug test.
What if you refuse?
- You will not be asked to take a drug test unless you are officially offered a position.
- You can refuse to take a drug/alcohol test.
- If you refuse, your name will be removed from the eligible list from which you were interviewed and you will not be allowed to reapply for the job class for at least one year from the date of refusal.
- The supervisor will call the clinic and schedule an appointment for you. If you live outside of the metro area, arrangements can be made for an appointment at a clinic near you.
- You must have picture identification when you report to a clinic for a drug test. A valid driver's license or state-issued identification card is preferable.
- Failure to appear for a scheduled drug test will be treated like a refusal to test.
- Negative test results apply only to one job offer. Test results do not carry over to subsequent offers.
- Tampering with a sample will be treated like a refusal to test.
Medical review officer
- All tests are reviewed by a medical review officer to ensure that results are verified and explained. If the officer contacts you, please cooperate so that your results can be processed promptly.
- The officer has three working days to evaluate your test. You have those same three days to offer additional information not given at the time of your test.
- You will be notified of your test results by mail as soon as the results are available.
- If you test negative, you will normally receive notification within three business days.
- If you test positive, it may take somewhat longer to notify you as a second, confirmatory test must be completed and a careful review conducted by the medical review officer.
- If you test positive, you may request at your own expense a second confirmatory test of the original sample. This request must be made within five working days after notice of a positive test, and the second test may be done by the original testing lab or by another licensed testing laboratory. You may be asked to pay the laboratory in advance for this test.
- If you test positive, your name will be removed from the eligible list and you will not be eligible to apply for any county position for at least two years.
Safety-sensitive job classes - updated January 2017
Employees hired for these positions will be tested for drug and alcohol use:
Administrative Assistant, Pr. (Sheriff's Office Communications Director-PIO)
Administrative Manager (Security Division)
Adult Education Instructor
Case Management Assistant (DOCCR/HSPHD)
Casual Laborer (Laborer, Casual) - Transportation
Chemical Health Counselor
Chemical Health Counselor, Senior
Chemical Health Counselor, Supervisor
Communications Technician Lead
Community Corrections Specialist
Community Health Specialist (HSPHD)
Community Health Worker
Community Health Worker, Senior (excludes Hennepin Health)
Cook, Senior (DOCCR/Sheriff's Office)
Correctional Officer, Juvenile
Correctional Officer, Senior
Corrections Institutional Supervisor
Corrections Unit Supervisor
Dental Assistant, Senior
Electrician Apprenticeship Program
Engineering Technician, Assistant
Engineering Technician, Principal
Engineering Technician, Senior
Engineering Technician, Supervising
Equipment Mechanic Journeyman
Equipment Mechanic Leadworker
Equipment Mechanic, Junior
Equipment Operator, Heavy
Facilities Maintenance Operations Engineer (DOCCR)
Food & Laundry Programs Manager
Food Service Supervisor (DOCCR/Sheriff's Office)
Food Service Worker (DOCCR/Sheriff's Office)
Food Service Worker, Senior (DOCCR/Sheriff's Office)
Forensic Science Supervisor (see Sheriff’s Forensic…)
Forensic Technician (see Sheriff’s Forensic…)
Heavy Equipment Operator (Equipment Operator, Heavy)
Highway Maintenance Operator
Investigator (Sheriff's Office)
Laundry Services Operator (Sheriff's Office)
Medical Examiner, Assistant
Medical Examiner's Investigations Supervisor
Medical Examiner’s Investigative Assistant
Medical Examiner’s Investigator
Medical Examiner’s Technician
Medical Laboratory Technician
Medical Technologist Supervisor
Nurse, Licensed Practical
Nurse, Public Health
Nurse, Senior Staff
Nursing Specialist, Clinical
Nursing Supervisor, Community Based
Occupational Therapist, Senior
Pharmacist, Clinical Specialist
Pharmacy Technician, Senior
Physician, Senior Associate
Probation/Parole Officer, Senior
Probation/Parole Officer, Career
Psychologist, Chief Clinical
Psychologist, Senior Clinical
Public Safety Records Clerk (DOCCR)
Public Works Foreman
Public Works Operating Technician
Public Works Supervisor
Radiology Technologist, Senior
Recycling Center Operator
Security Supervisor, Operational
Sentencing to Service Carpenter
Sentence to Service Crewleader
Sentence to Service Supervisor
Sheriff, Chief Deputy
Sheriff’s Crime Laboratory Technician
Sheriff's Detention Captain
Sheriff’s Detention Deputy
Sheriff’s Detention Lieutenant
Sheriff’s Detention Sergeant
Sheriff’s Detention Technician
Sheriff's Evidence Specialist
Sheriff’s Forensic Science Supervisor
Sheriff’s Forensic Technician
Sheriff’s Telecommunicator Sergeant
Social Work Unit Supervisor (HSPHD)
Social Worker (DOCCR/HSPHD)
Social Worker, Child Protection
Social Worker, Psychiatric (DOCCR/HSPHD)
Social Worker, Senior (DOCCR/HSPHD)
Social Worker, Senior Psych (DOCCR/HSPHD)
Special Programs Counselor (DOCCR)
Stockworker, Senior Mechanical
Traffic Signal Electrician
Traffic Signal Electrician Supervisor
Traffic Signal Systems Coordinator
Traffic Sign Worker, Senior
Trainee (All trainee plans in safety sensitive job classes)
Vocational Counselor (HSPHD – VSP)
WIC Public Health Nutritionist