Federal housing programs for residents

Federal funding to aid community revitalization, public services and affordable housing options is provided through three programs: Community Development Block Grant, HOME Investment Partnerships Program and the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. These funds create and preserve affordable housing stock and community public service needs to low income households.

Expand all information

Affordable homeownership assistance

Homebuyer assistance programs funded directly by Hennepin County are currently not available.

Contact your lender or the Minnesota Homeownership Center to search the homebuyer assistance program matrix. For information on the First-Time Homebuyers Program and other first-time homebuyers programs, down payment and closing costs assistance and homebuyer training, contact Minnesota Housing.

Contact the listed agencies below to ask about eligibility questions and current housing stock available through Hennepin County funded programs:

Housing rehabilitation loans

Financial assistance to maintain decent, safe and healthy housing conditions for low-income homeowners is available through participating suburban Hennepin County cities. Funding is available on a first-come, first-served basis and waiting lists are maintained.

City  Status
Brooklyn Center Waiting list
Brooklyn Park Waiting list
Consolidated Pool Cities* Available
Crystal Available
Edina Available
Hopkins Waiting list
Maple Grove Available
New Hope Available
Richfield Available
St. Louis Park Available

*Consolidated Pool Cities include: Champlin, Corcoran, Dayton, Deephaven, Excelsior, Golden Valley, Greenfield, Greenwood, Hanover, Hassan, Independence, Long Lake, Loretto, Maple Plain, Medicine Lake, Medina, Minnetrista, Mound, Orono, Osseo, Robbinsdale, Rockford, Rogers, St. Anthony, St. Bonifacius, Shorewood, Spring Park, Tonka Bay, Wayzata

Homeowner Rehab Application (PDF)

To learn more about the program and whether or not you may qualify for assistance, please contact Hennepin County at 612-348-9260.

Public services

Public services programs for low income households include housing counseling, child care, emergency services, domestic abuse shelter and counseling, senior centers, senior chore services, youth diversion and youth activities. Contracted services are facilitated through outside agencies and partially funded by Hennepin County. Check with your preferred suburban Hennepin County city for public services offered.

Affordable rental housing development and redevelopment

Looking for affordable rental housing?

Hennepin County Housing Redevelopment Authority (HCHRA) is not the contact agency for the Section 8-Rental Assistance program.

HousingLink provides services to search for affordable rental housing. Search for affordable affordable rental housing vacancies and waiting list openings in the Twin Cities and the greater Minnesota area with hList on Housing Link. You can also get contact information and view current waiting lists on the website.

Collapse all information