This public employer-sponsored program allows you to save pre-tax money to pay for post-employment medical expenses and/or health insurance premiums.
Eligibility and enrollment
Your benefit eligibility, job classification, bargaining unit, and date of hire determine your plan participation. Participation is determined by your bargaining unit or by groups of employees if there are no bargaining units during negotiations with Hennepin County, with final language approval by the plan administrator, Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS).
Your program participation is determined by what employee group or groups you are in. The groups are: non-union employee groups by job classification, union employee groups by bargaining unit, union employees hired before or after 1/1/2008.
Non-union participants by job classification
- 1% gross salary, 100% stability pay, 100% severance
- 1% gross salary, 100% stability pay, 50% severance
- 1% gross salary, 50% severance
- 1% gross salary, 25% severance
- 1% gross salary, 100% severance
Elected department directors group
Check to see what group you belong to here (XLS).
Union participants by bargaining unit
AFSCME Local 2938, Legal Unit (Public Defenders) (EEE)
AFSCME Local 552, Probation (III)
- 100% severance if equal to or more than $200
Hennepin County Sheriff's Deputies Association (JJJ)
- 0% severance if 15 years of service* or less
- 50% severance if more than 15 but less than 20 years of service*
- 100% severance if 20 years or more of service*
*Years of service is measured by the non-continuous service date in APEX
Hennepin County Sheriff's Supervisors Association (LLL)
- 100% severance if more than $200
- Deferred holiday and comp time hours are not included in "100% severance"
Hennepin County Professional Social Services Supervisors (MMM)
- 100% severance if more than $200
Hennepin County Supervisors Association (QQQ)
- Excludes job classification 718, Sheriffs Detention Sergeant
- Employees hired prior to 1/1/2008 and did not opt out of the Early Retirement Health Insurance Program (ERHIP)
- $10 per paycheck
- 50% severance* if more than $400
*Severance is 50% of paid time off and 50% of sick leave hours
AFSCME Local 2938, Essential Legal Unit (Prosecutors) (WWW)
Union employees by date of hire
This group includes union employees hired after 1/1/2008. It also includes union employees hired prior to 1/1/2008 who voted to opt out of retiree health benefits to participate in the HCSP.
- 1% gross earnings
- Receives a lump sum contribution from the employer on anniversary date
- More than 5 years but less than 10 years receives $500
- More than 10 years but less than 15 years receives $600
- More than 15 years received $700
You can participate in the HCSP in more than one group. For example, if you are in group "WWW" as an organized employee hired after 1/1/2008, you would participate in a HCSP in the following ways: 1% of salary to HCSP (hired after 1/1/2008 group); plus 50% of severance.
Investment selection, beneficiary designation, eligible expenses, forms and more can be found at the Minnesota State Retirement System website or you can call 651-296-2761.
In the event of an employee's death or layoff there is no severance contribution to the health care savings plan.
- Your HCSP funds can be used to pay medical expenses for you, your legal spouse, and any legal dependents as defined by the IRS.
- Contact the Minnesota State Retirement System at 651-296-2761 or at MSRS online.