Holiday schedule and policy
| New Years
| Martin Luther King
| President's Day
| Memorial Day
| Independence Day
| Labor Day
| Veterans' Day
| Thanksgiving Friday
**Additional county holiday (not a legal holiday). County departments must have a sufficient number of employees at work. See HR Rule 12.3.b. - Additional Holiday
You may use paid vacation, PTO, deferred holiday or compensatory time hours, or unpaid leave, to observe religious holidays which fall on a scheduled work day.
Holidays on Saturday or Sunday
- When New Year's Day, Independence Day, Veterans' Day or Christmas Day falls on Sunday, the following Monday is the observed holiday.
- When these holidays fall on Saturday, the preceding Friday is the observed holiday.
- When Christmas Day falls on a Saturday, Christmas Eve is observed on the Thursday preceding the Friday holiday.
- When Christmas Day falls on a Sunday or Monday, Christmas Eve is observed on the preceding Friday.
- Policies concerning holidays vary from department to department. Employees should learn their department's policy regarding holidays.
- All full-time employees receive the same number of holidays, whether they work Monday through Friday or some other schedule.
- Employees who regularly work half-time or more receive holiday pay in proportion to the time they work.
- Holiday pay for part-time employees is based on average hours for the previous quarter (or standard hours if the employee had no hours in the previous quarter)
- Employees required to work on the designated holiday are paid for the time worked and may use the holiday time off on a later date (provisions of union contracts may vary; consult the applicable labor agreement).
- Seasonal employees and limited duration six months or less are not eligible for paid holidays.
- Generally, employees working in departments with more than eight-hour operations should expect to work some holidays. Examples of these are Library, Sheriff, County Home School, Juvenile Detention Center, and Property Services.
- Employees represented by a union contract are paid holiday premium for hours worked on a holiday, except Christmas Eve (consult the applicable labor agreement).
- Non-represented nonexempt employees are paid one and one-half times the regular hourly rate only if they work on a legal holiday.
- Employees are not required to work days preceding and following holidays to be eligible for holiday pay.